Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I have a new Phoenix (with problems)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a new Phoenix (with problems)

what glitches does a rally have? i never experienced any

Old 01-26-2005, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

ftw, what does size of the rider have to do with the kid's ability to handle a machine? there is alot more to riding than being "big enough" for it. companies have taken into consideration many factors to come up with guidelines for age, experience, etc. a friend of mine has a stock version of my quad, he want even trail ride mine because doesn't feel he can control it if something would happen- he's taller than me and weighs more. and as far as not letting them get out of sight, if something goes wrong - how fast are you really?? not trying to pi$$ anyone off here, just stating the facts
check out the threads under kids and quads forum.

Horseplay, hope you get your problems solved, the phoenix really is a good bike.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: spoRtRax450R
what glitches does a rally have? i never experienced any
From what I have gathered, they were prone to crappy brakes. They still have a crappy air filter system. They gear selector is very non ergonomic. The choke system leaves to be desired. To name a few off the top of my head. I still think it's a decent value, but it ain't perfect.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: jeffro206
ftw, what does size of the rider have to do with the kid's ability to handle a machine? there is alot more to riding than being "big enough" for it. companies have taken into consideration many factors to come up with guidelines for age, experience, etc. a friend of mine has a stock version of my quad, he want even trail ride mine because doesn't feel he can control it if something would happen- he's taller than me and weighs more. and as far as not letting them get out of sight, if something goes wrong - how fast are you really?? not trying to pi$$ anyone off here, just stating the facts
check out the threads under kids and quads forum.

Horseplay, hope you get your problems solved, the phoenix really is a good bike.
The physical size of some 8 yr olds makes the 50cc quads too small but they need to be big enough for their hands to opperate the controls and at leat reach the floorboards before they can even try to control a machine.And not leting him get out of my range ......I can get to him as fast as possible on either his TB or the 400 Scrammy. My son has had as much or more experiance on MODDED quads than most adults.He has races MX on them and trail rode since he was 5.His TB is as fast as most 300EXs plus he does use good sense.

Old 01-26-2005, 08:28 AM
Pro Rider

Size is important for a kid to be riding an adult machine. I mean why not go ahead and put an 8 year old on a Brute Force, or what the Heck, and Alcohol Banshee pushing 100 HP? Its all the same, Being an 8 year old, theres simply not enough weight in their britches to counter any sudden direction change of a 400 pound quad. I dont care WHAT your skill level is, Like I said, I would put my kids up against alot of adults on Bikes, but I sure aint gonna let them throw a leg over my 300 or 525, just because they know "how" to ride a bike. Quads are even worse, Something as simple as a small indentation in the ground can be enough to throw the machine one way or the other, and if your not paying attention, then off you go, and often with the quad on top of you. I mean come one, we all know 8-10 year olds pay SO much attention and always do exactly as told right? i mean they Never get in trouble and ALWAYS listen to the rules, right?? ... Ya, and theres a bridge I'd like to sell you.
It's dangerous, Plain and simple. Kids of this age are more apt to cave into peer pressure, and other than the rare 120 pound 8 year old are simply to small, to weak to correctly handle that machine.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

Why you limiting to 8 year olds. My cousin is 14, about 200 lbs. about 6 feet tall. Better keep him on a 90 huh!. That's what the government says we should do. he'd have to put his knees over the handlebars to fit on it

You can't judge by age. Every adult who buys a quad for their kid needs to consider their riding ability, their weight, size, and their experience. Not some outdated government standard that will cause just as many injuries as it might save.

Old 01-26-2005, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Its not an age limit, Its Physics, pure and simple. Riding ability Is great, But if you dont have enough strength in your arms and upper body to counter any sudden change in direction or a hidden obstacle, then it's an accident waiting to happen. a 200 pound 14 year old is a far cry from an 8-10 year old. Hell, why not give them the keys to your truck and turn them loose on the interstate? WHy not give them the controls of a passanger jet? It's the same thing, An 8 year old Relys on YOU, yes that right, relys on YOU to make good choices for him. Of course one will ride a banshee if you tell him too, he doesnt know any better, They dont comrehend the dangers, because they are 8 years old, an adult however is "supposedly" OLDER AND WISER and should act accordingly.

Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Size and skill have to play an important role. It would just as dangerous to be on a quad that was too small. If the cc size is such an important factor, why don't dirt bikes have restrictions on them?

Old 01-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

Because with bikes, its common sense, as SHOULD be on quads? Are you going to put a kid on a bike when he cant touch the ground, or reach the footpegs or rear brakes? Quads are much easier, I mean as long as they can reach the handle bars then all is assumed safe.

http://www.consumerfed.org/0605atv.

As you read the article, pay attention that 90%, thats right 90% of the 33,000 injuries to children reported in 2001, was kids riding adult machines.

Old 01-26-2005, 01:56 PM
Pro Rider

Well I have been reading all the replys and can say this the ? was is this normal and some how it got side tracked into is he big enough
well it is not normal for the quad to be doing that a noisy top end is a problem and going to be a bigger one. the back firing well I would say jetting problem but not to sure or it could be a loose wire or a air hose from the tank.
As far as is he big enough or does he have the mind set to drive it I do not know. He is his father he knows better than I .
And as far as that goes some 200 lb men have the mentallity of a squirel and should not be driving quads but yet there is no moron clause for buying one.
Hope you get your quad working well
and the problem with most quads is the dealers some of them should be selling peanuts at the circus

Quick Reply: I have a new Phoenix (with problems)