Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Decisions. Decisions.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decisions. Decisions.....

First off, just wanted to say thanks to everyone here. Ive been silently reading the forums here at atvconnections trying to figure out what to buy for myself when my tax returns come in and I've narrowed it down to a predator. Im selling my banshee and finally taking the plung to by a 4stroke.

Im really leaning towards the TLD but the STD tranny has me thinking. I only do trail riding and dont see myself at any real mx courses any time soon. I know the TLD is geared better for trails, but what about when you mod it? I mean its geared good for the stock power curve but what about when its not so stock anymore. At this point the longer gears of the STD would have the advantage, no? The new found hp at the top of the RPMS woiuld be cut short by having to change the gears, no?

This is the only thing that has me thinking on which to buy. The suspension and tires on the TLD are a great deal. But is it worth it when I pipe, jet, and filter it, to have the smaller gears......Not to mention new cams down the road...

Any insight you guys might have would be great. Ive searched through the forums and dont see to many ppl with the TLDS and mods.

Thnx

vToe

Old 01-29-2005, 08:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

From what I know the STD is the better choice for the trails. The TLD gear ratios are too close for trails. You will be shifting like crazy.

Old 01-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW, Welcome!!

Old 01-29-2005, 09:23 PM
Trailblazer

You are in the same boat I am. Which one? I want the TLD but now in the last week on two web pages that I look at, it has come out that there will be a new TLD coming with std trans. Now do I wait for that one is coming or get the TLD with the funny trans?

Maybe why this is coming out, Polaris has read the first atv shoot out and that why the new TLD is coming out. The shoot out was with a Yamaha 660. They said they are only two thing wrongs with the TLD, 1 was the trans and 2 was a bump in the seat. Now they fix the problem, and the question is to buy or wait when the dealer shipment come in.

Old 01-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

TLD with a STD trans sounds nice. Where did you read that at? Was it a reliable source? Link?

Thanks for the Welcome 2many

Old 01-29-2005, 11:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ive been doing some searching. Ive found talk of it only on 2 websites, predatorowners and PSN. Both posts are from canadians. They also mention april as a release date. Would be nice to see that in the states. But then again it would make me want to wait till april. ARGH!

Old 01-29-2005, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

vtoe, i've ridden both and imo i like the tld for tight trails. may have to shift a little more but, seems like the powers always there. doesn't lag quite as much as std trans. try to find 1 of each and ride if possible, that way youll know for sure.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

Here are the two thread I am getting mine info. I don't know nothing else just the two thread. The dealers in town I am not trying to buy from. I am try to buy one out of state from a Polaris only dealer. The next shipping will be in April. So I think if the price is right I will only buy what ever TLD they have. I don't want to have to upgrade it. Maybe the muffler only.
I am think already of buying a helmet before I get the TLD. That how bad it is getting. lol

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/437561.cfm

http://www.predatorowners.com/index....42&thrid=11824

Old 01-29-2005, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

I have a ’05 TLD and I mostly ride trails. The shifting for me is not much of a problem since I mostly ride in 2nd and 3rd gear. The engine has enough power to where the only time I am in 1st on the trails is after I come from a dead stop or if I am climbing a tough hill. I already have a WB pipe and I sent my carb to Nicholas Cycle so I am not sure if I will need to change my riding style when it is all said and done. I have heard about the anniversary edition with the TLD suspension and STD tranny. Give it a look. It might be what you are looking for.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:34 PM
Trailblazer

kman01

When you got the TLD, did you get the extra warranty?
Have you have any problem with your? I have been reading the one up north where it been 10 below. That why I am asking.

Quick Reply: Decisions. Decisions.....