Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler Tires & wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler Tires & wheels

Originally posted by: fishslab
Let's say he chose a 20" tire for the rear instead of the stock 22" assuming the front stayed the stock 23". That rear tire would overspin the front quicker than the 22" making AWD either engage all the time or at least even quicker than it does stock. If he were to put a larger rear, let's say 24" with the stock 23" front it would now take longer for the AWD to engage. So if he went 25" rear and 25" front the AWD will engage later than the stock set up. The AWD engagement is based on a ratio of overspin (overdrive front to rear). Even if you went with 24" rear and 25" front the ratio may not be exact compared to stock.
Ok- I understand what you are saying and agree it should be the same disparity as stock or maybe the same size or bigger in the rear. No harm in it taking LONGER to engage as compaired to it being engaged all the time.
I agree.
Thanks.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

Okay guy's here is the cold hard facts. We are going to compair a 2004 scrambler 500 4x4 with a 2002 explorer 400 4x4. The reason for the 2002 explorer is that it was the last year they made the explorer. If you look up both machines on the polaris website and look at the break downs you will see that the front diff has the same gear ratio between the two machines. Second the trani's have the exact same gears inside except that the explorer has a low gear, thats why an explorer trani will bolt directly into a scrambler. Third they are running a 13, 36 gear combo for the rear. Last if you look at the factory tires on the explorer they are 25-11-10 on rear and 25-8-12 on the front. The awd drive works off of a percentage of slip of the front to rear. Some machines have a smaller percentage than others, but it does work and won,t hurt anything if you run the same size tires on the scrambler. I have run my machine in everything from super deep sticky mud to dry hard dirt to sand and snow. Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Old 02-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

I agree it won't hurt. It may delay engagement by a fraction of a second. That is no big deal, especially if you gain excellant ground clearance.

Old 02-01-2005, 11:02 PM
Trailblazer

I certainly appreciate all the input, I like the looks of the Scrambler on geocities.com/northernidahospud from Idaho spud, can you tell me what exact size those are? make and model?
Mr Toys do ou have pics of yours I could check out?

Thanks Guys

Old 02-01-2005, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry for the ignorant question here but can someone explain the numbering system on the tires?
25-11-10 on the rear
25-8-12 up front

25 is?
11 is?
10 is?

Thanks

Old 02-01-2005, 11:13 PM
Trailblazer

25 is height 11 is width and 10 is rim..... i belive [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2005, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

Tire slippage keeps different than stock tire ratios from being a problem. The fact that we ride with a solid straight axle out back and can actually turn the thing shows that they are slightly slipping at just about any time. You know the difference in turning on dirt, mud and sand versus pavement. So if the front/rear ratio is a little different than stock, it slips enough to keep from binding.

Old 02-02-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

so what happens if u drive in awd on pavement then? if the tires cant slip and its gonna automatically be in 4x4 becuase f the tire size difference will it be basically the same affect as putting lower gearing in the front of a truck than in the back axle. causing the front to swap with the back?

Old 02-02-2005, 10:12 AM
Range Rover

the scrambler on spuds web site is running bear claw tires. Same as mine. it looks like ITP C-Series wheels. Those are great tires!

Old 02-02-2005, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry Mike, I have the ability to give you pictures, but I just stripped my quad down for a monster rebuild. I will post pictures when it is done. It's getting solid motor mounts, a 5" extended swing arm, 26 or 27" tires, a explorer trani. and some engine mods. good luck with your and safe quading for everyone.

Quick Reply: Scrambler Tires & wheels