Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

More Scrambler Problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2000, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last time I went riding, (2 weeks ago) it wasn't until cleanup time that I saw it. The rear brake caliper mount was broken, where the top bolt goes through it. Took it to the dealership, fixed under warranty, not a problem. Was without it for 5 days, wasn't going riding any way.

Yesterday, went to the Badlands and had a great time, as usual, the occasional mudhole and lots of climbing. Until I rode it onto the trailer, and saw the oil leak. Transmission oil.

Got it home and cleaned it up, and it looks like the tranny case is craked at the rear. The chain was adjusted well before the ride, and is really loose now.

Any experience with this, or suggestions ? I'm starting to think that I had better buy the extended warranty.

Dave

Old 09-17-2000, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

This sounds very odd if the chain didnt come off and slap the case. If your still under warrenty, then It should be replaced.

As far as the chain being loose, my 400 does the same thing but not after one day.

EC

Old 09-18-2000, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Rumor has it that "jumping" can/will cause case damage on Scramblers because the rear chain drive is not truly concentric during its full travel arc.

P.S. If you want peace of mind and wish to continue maximizing your air time buy the extended warranty.

Old 09-19-2000, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

UPDATE:

Had my Dad take the Scrambler to the shop for me today. Been working LONG days. Spoke with the mechanic on the phone. It's true. Tranny case is cracked. He already has the transmission on order and will be warranty. Says he has seen it before.

Thor, if I ever get air, it's an accident. I'm too old, fat, and clumsy to be jumping. I just like to go fast.

I did hear the "popping" that some of you have described when you get rocks in the chain. And was riding in a quarry. I think maybe that was what did it. Which is kind of discouraging, because it's a great place to ride. I think I will get that extended warranty.

Dave

Old 09-21-2000, 11:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

Indydave,

I bought my 1st quad 4 months ago which was a new 400 4x4 Scrambler. The tranny cracked on the output shaft side from the sprocket to the bottom of the casing after 2 months. Another local has had his casing replaced twice on his new 500 this summer due to stress cracked tranny cases. Whats up Polaris!! Dealer said maybe chain adjusted to tight. Maybe. It had been adjusted once but according to owner's manual specs. We had rode it a month after that adjustment before it let go. Buy the extended warranty. I am. I like the machine otherwise.

Old 09-22-2000, 01:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a 2000 500 Scrambler and broke the case twice and a guy I ride with has a 400 Scrambler and has also broke his case.

Polaris gear cases are junk and they try to blame it in the owners. Do yourself a favor and get rid of it. It will only get worse $$$$$$$$$$

Old 09-22-2000, 03:25 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a new 400 4x4. Does anyone know how much the extended warranty costs? Do I have to buy it at the same time I buy the quad, or can you add it anytime during the first year.

Thanks

Old 09-22-2000, 03:31 PM
Pro Rider

up until the quad is 5 mos old you can get it..depending on the dealer and what you buy i think 4 years is around 500

Old 09-22-2000, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

How about this untested theory? It could be that..

In an effort to lower overall vehicle weight of the Scrambler Polaris designed the frame to be of lighter weight than the sport utility models within its lineup.

This lighter frame weight in combination with the concentric drive (which is not truly concentric) causes a load upon the crankcases because of the frame flexing at the extreme end of the suspension travel. Over time, this flexing causes metal fatigue and eventual cracking along these stess lines.

And then again it might not be. But I'll bet the customer service folks say, "Gee... I never heard of that before. Yours is the first one I've ever seen." LOL

Old 09-22-2000, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

Thor,

I have no reason to disbelieve your' theory. Could be dead on. However, I've already told you all why I don't jump. Don't think that this is MY case.

I really do think that it was pea gravel loading up in the chain that over stressed the tranny. I got burried up to the boards in the stuff. Very nasty noises. Still, it shouldn't have broke. Polaris doesn't void warranty for riding in pea gravel.......I hope.

Anyway, spoke with Bud (mechanic)today, tranny came in at 10:00 this morning, and said I could pick it up tommorrow.

Dave