Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Floorboards and Bad Starter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2000, 09:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got two questions today... 1) one of my floorboards is broken. How much are these from the dealer or can I get some kind of cool aftermarket ones that are cheaper? I looked at the nerf bars in the Denis Kirk book, but they are pretty expensive.
Question number 2:
Today I started up my Scram and it was fine. I went to start it again later on and it sounded like my starter was just spinning. I pull started and drove it to the garage, shut it off and tried the elec. starter and it was fine again. Is this a sign my starter is going bad? Or did it just get kinda stuck or something for a minute? Thanx in advance.

Old 09-18-2000, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Floorboards I can't help much with... but the starter is a pretty common occurance.
Pull your recoil housing (the pull cord cover) and in there just above the flywheel you will see the starter bendix.. It needs to be disassembled and cleaned. Also, check the condition of the bushing in the housing, and the condition of the spacers and replace as necessary. You really don't want to have to buy that bendix cause its about $130.00.... But, cleaning it and keeping the water out of it usually fixes it.
Check the pullcord seal, and the seal on the housing itself.

Old 09-18-2000, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Never had trouble with the starter on mine, but I too cracked a floor board and many forums ago someone had mentioned using JB Weld to fix the black plastic. Mine is in the garage awaiting my repair attempt. Seems to me Polaris should have used a more flexible composite instead of hard plastic that is brittle and broke on me in the dead of winter when it was 30 below.

Old 09-18-2000, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know the price on floor boards but to put on some nref bars it would take around $160 an some welding. For a polaris you use a set of banshee nerfs. It also save some weight with the nerfs then the floorbaords. If you want to know more just e-mail me

95 TrailBlazer 265lbs with DG nerfs an pipe .020 off head 34mm carb coustom clutching.
Pics at www.briefcase.yahoo.com/x_scrambler3
98 Scrambler 400 4X4 stock

Old 09-18-2000, 11:59 PM
Pro Rider

My starter and bendix went out all aat the same time we took the starter off may i mention a pain in the a** and took it to the dealer and bought new brushes, cleaned it, and a new bearing, on the bendix do what they said also mine had a broken spring that kicks the bendix out.

Old 09-19-2000, 12:21 AM
Trailblazer

What happens with the starter is their is to much compression in the engine and the electric start won't turn it over, so you have to relieve the compression by pulling it over once.This should fix the problem. Good luck

Old 09-19-2000, 02:25 AM
hc
Range Rover

ChevyTruckn, Not long after i bought a new "99" SP 500, busted a floorboard. It was a freak accident. A new one from the dealer was about $100.00 . Can't remember for sure but right around that price range.

Old 09-19-2000, 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

my starter was full of water when it went out.

Old 09-20-2000, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

THis is one of the common problems on the Polaris ATV I think there is an article on the atvconnection because of where the starter is mounted, there is a problem with water getting into it...

Old 09-21-2000, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

About the starter problem, before everything check the battery. A battery with lower voltage would produce the symptoms you described, and also explaining why it started fine after you ran the engine for a while. I'm not saying it is the battery (it could be all the other problems described), but checking the battery solution level is easy to do, and it doesn't take much time.

Pedro

Quick Reply: Floorboards and Bad Starter???