Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Please read: Need advice tracks or snowmobile?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 03:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please read: Need advice tracks or snowmobile?

There is absoluty no way a ATV with tracks on can go thru as much snow as a snowmobile. A snowmobile is the hands down winner. It wouldnt even be close.

Old 02-08-2005, 05:20 AM
Pro Rider

Svalbard11, How deep are the lugs on your track? If they are too long you can get too much traction making it hard to turn the sled. I realize they provide better traction, but that could be exactly the problem with turning. Just a guess since I am no sled expert.

Old 02-08-2005, 06:41 AM
Range Rover

Yes, you might be right about tzhat . The lugs are about 1 inch. But if shorter there is no traction anymore on wet and heavy snow., especially steep uphill.

Old 02-08-2005, 07:25 AM
Pro Rider

Is your wife the only one with the steering problem? Do have the problem when you ride the sled?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Range Rover

Well, we both have the steering problem, but I just jump off the sled and push it where it is supposed to go. (Around the curves) She jumps off as well, but the sled pushes her to where the sled wants to go, and that s straight ahead. ;-)

Old 02-08-2005, 08:40 AM
Pro Rider

I was just wondering if her riding technique might need some adjustment. Like shifting her weight forward over the bars to place more weight over the skiis and less over the track. Also a little more speed, although a little scary, might help keep the sled up on top and keep it from digging so much. Just some ideas I had. Again I have very little experience on sleds, but I do believe them to be the better choice in deep snow.

Old 02-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

Hello Svalbard11. Steering with a long track sled is a known problem. Most use body weight shifting and riding on the side boards to steer in the deep. That is the reason for the grab handle on all mountain sleds. The Alpine 3 has a long wide track that is known more as a work horse and I can imagine would be even more difficult to steer because it is much wider and considerably heavier that most every mountain sled. Maybe you might be better off with some thing like a Polaris switchback that has a medium length track (144 inches) but it is only weights 488 pound instead of 610 pounds of the Alpine. It also has an angled track to it can steer easier on the hardpack. How do the smaller sleds like the Switchback work in your area? Do people use them?
BryceGTX

Old 02-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Pro Rider

The key to not getting stuck with a snowmobile is to hit the gas. When you feel it start to bog down pin the throttle and get the track spinning to move the snow. It sounds like both of you need to increase your time on the sleds. They are a lot more difficult to drive correctly than an ATV.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider

i would say get the ski-doo renagade, polaris switch back or arcticat m6 efi with a 141 but im guessing you still want reverse so its either the ski-doo or the polaris

Old 02-08-2005, 03:54 PM
Range Rover

@ fishsklab: Well about the riding techique. Of course you might be right that we need some more exersise. But we need to ride carefully. Just a couple of feet off the track and they might find our bodies in next July.......its a life danger to go to fast in that area.

@ BriceGTX: Yes, i think thats it! The wide and long belt might be the problem! Over here Skidoos arent allowed like over there in the US. Very few people have one and need a special permit just for the ride from the groomed road to the cabin and back. So the choice of Snowmobiles is very poor in Europe (except Sweden) -. The Alpine III is the standart sled in the Alps. A workhorse, thats right.

Quick Reply: Please read: Need advice tracks or snowmobile?