Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help me choose cam and carb for altitude

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 11:07 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me choose cam and carb for altitude

Does anyone have FST's web site address? I've searched several times for it and can't find one.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

You won't find a website. They quit using one several years back. Here is their phone number (814)842-6159. Most likely you will be speaking with Mickey Dunlap. He is the head honcho. Don't expect it to be cheap. Let us know what you find out and what you plan on doing. They do a lot of different stuff.

Old 02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

You may also want to consider getting in touch with Xtreme (they have a store in Castle Rock and Erie). They have some good dyno info with a 'high altitude' package they put together a few years ago. They don't have the info on their website any more but they still do the mods.

http://www.xtreme-performance.com/

Old 02-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Range Rover

Anyone tried this: http://www.hotseatperformance.com/ps...2883&CATID=248

I'm not 100% sure it fits the sportsman, but I kinda think that this is what someone was talking about.

Does a big bore kit change jetting?

Old 02-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

I can assure you the FST kit is cheaper. Which one will be better? Could not even venture a guess. Mickey quoted me a price of $920. That includes: Stroked crank,new FST piston, gaskets,cam, and valve springs. They use your crank and cam. You have to have your cylinder bored as well. It will require some jetting changes. He will have the full details of course.

Old 02-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Range Rover

I found someone selling a BST 40mm mikuni.

would this be the same thing as a sportsman HO carb?

Old 02-09-2005, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

one the flatslide the reason for the dead spot off idle is because the carb cant supply fuel quit enough for the incoming air. ts just for a sec, but noticeable. a carb with an accelerator pump, like used on most sport quads or the cv slide carb, like whats on it or the scrammy delivers fuel better. i think the bst you asked about is the scarmmy carb.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
hey fishslab, i also read a while back that there is a 627 mod out there, sorry cant remember who had it. suffering from crs lol

Old 02-09-2005, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: jeffro206
-----------------------------------------------------------------hey fishslab, i also read a while back that there is a 627 mod out there, sorry cant remember who had it. suffering from crs lol
FST also makes a 628 kit. It requires a new sleave for the jug as well as the other stuff from the 600 kit. It also requires some grinding on the cases for crank clearance. It is supposed to be more powerfull, it's just gonna take more work and money.

Old 02-09-2005, 12:35 AM
Elite Pro Rider

I have been toying with the idea of putting a 42mm carb from a DS650 or Predator on my scrammy. You can find used DS carbs for cheap. Either that, or a Honda 450R carb. The Pred guys seem to like this carb better, and it is only around $150 brand new from Service Honda

Old 02-10-2005, 07:53 PM
Range Rover

Finally got ahold of FST. They said I really have two options... 600 with HO cam, or 600 with Long Duration Cam. I think I'm going to stick with the HO cam since I'm sure the 600 kit will be plenty of power for what I'm looking to do. Plus I'll keep more of my low end torque that way. I think I still want to find a 40 mm HO carb, but it'll be cheaper if I just do things one thing at a time. I'm going to get an HO cam and the 600 kit, and when I need a bit more, then I can put on either the HO carb or the hot seat performance 36mm flatside carb. Their flatside has an accelerator pump, so it's supposed to do better with the hesitation that the normal flatsides have trouble with. If I just do the 600 kit without the cam and new valvesprings, they quoted me $575. I'd still have to send them my crank and add $40 for them to bore out my stock cylinder, so I'm really at $870 plus shipping expenses all said and done. I'm basically trying to see if I can find a stock HO cam cheaper somewhere else. When or if I do, I'm going to jump on the rest of the kit.

Anyone else who has the 600 stroker kit... what do you think of it compared to your 500?

Quick Reply: Help me choose cam and carb for altitude