Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500SP vs Kodiak 450 and dealer questions NH

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 500SP vs Kodiak 450 and dealer questions NH

Honda is right and wrong on some things.
Yes it has a 1 lever brake for all 4 wheels, It does have 2 wheel engine braking, But he is wrong with the 4wd system. It has 2x4, AWD and turf option from the switch. You wont tear up the lawn. You dont have to be in low to cruse less than 25mph. You do have to be in low if you are towing something just like any other 4wd. The only thing that is hard on the belt is being in thick mud in awd, towing in high gear, wheelies and jumps. The ground clearance is a little more on the Sp. The kodiak feels tippy while the Sp feels very stable. The Sp is nice and cushy while the kodiak is rough and more unstable at higher speeds. If I had the choice between the 500ho and the Kodiak it would be the 500ho. If it were between the 500ho and the Bf650 it would be the BF. I am not against other brands at all. Yamaha is great but in this case I would say the SP is the better ALL AROUND choice. You could also look at the BF650.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One other thing that hondabuster is in error on. If you know how,,,you can have 4X4 engine braking. I can't believe how many people still don't know this procedure.

Old 02-13-2005, 06:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: GE4x4
Originally posted by: hondabuster
On the surface, both quads seem to be very similar, but in the details they are very different.
The big question is, do you want to control the 4wd or do you want it automatic? On the kodiak, you can select 2wd, 4wd ( some call this 3wd, but if the fronts have equal traction, its 4wd), or 4wd locked. Anytime, any surface, forwards or backwards, uphill or downhill. Youre totally in control, of which tires get power. No excuses , no problems. The yami has a differential in front, so if you want max traction on hard pack, you can select 4wd and not have to fight the steering in front. Also if you preferr to prevent wheelspin, and maintain traction, you can on the yami, but the polaris needs to spin the back two tires to get front drive. If youre pulling a trailer thru your yard, and its wet and slippery, and hilly...do you want to churn the sod, or pull the load?
The polaris is only gonna give 4wd when the back two tires have already lost traction. And there is no 4wd engine braking, just the back two tires get engine braking.
The polaris has one brake lever for all four tires, the yami has separate front and back brakes.
The polaris cvt needs you to use low range for going under 25 mph, because of the design, its very tough on belts to use high range for slow going. The yami doesnt care, its your choice if you want low or high range.
So...do you want choice...or do you want it all figured out for you?
It all gets down to personal preference, they both are strong, and quick...polaris is gonna be quicker and have the top speed, and both are reliable. It gets down to whether or not you want choices, for traction.
It allmost sounds like you don't like Polaris 4x4 system.
But I do like the ride, its the best , I just dont llike the other features. But, if we all liked the same things...itd be a boring world. Ive had friends who have bought polaris, only to find out all the limitations, and then were mad they didnt know all the facts before buying. They were used to jeeps and trucks, and didnt like the fact, they couldnt control the traction. I guess thats why I wont buy one either.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-13-2005, 07:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I dont understand what limitations you are talking about? Ok you dont like the 4wd system but it has everything els all the other utes have, even more. What limitations? It has the most ground clearance, the most travel, the most storage, the best ride ect...

Old 02-13-2005, 07:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Checked out Poor Farm today, Kim wasn't around so I'll have to go back later in the week.

Polaris of Nashua also seems to have a huge inventory - any experiences wtih them?

thanks again.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:57 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
I dont understand what limitations you are talking about? Ok you dont like the 4wd system but it has everything els all the other utes have, even more. What limitations? It has the most ground clearance, the most travel, the most storage, the best ride ect...
Some people see them as limitations, and some see them as features.
The cvt needs to be in low for slow going...when it comes time to speed up, with the group, the polaris needs to stop, go to high and continue on...yami can go slow or fast with out stoping to shift, it can be in high range full time. That may be a limitation.
One hand brake which works all brakes...there are times, especially on hills, where its preferable to use the uphill brake, only. This may be a limitation.
No 4wd engine braking...unless you count the jammming of the hubs, but then the fronts are locked together, and the steering gets almost impossible. It certainly isnt user friendly for a newbie, or for a wife, or daughter to try this. Yet on the yami, anyone who can reach the handlebars, and with no training can go down steep hills in comfort. Waiting at the top of the hill, behind a polaris rider, whos trying to lock the hubs, so he can make it down the hill...might be a limitation.Seeing him hit a tree, because he cant turn, certainly is a limitation.
Not being able to engage all 4 wheels at any time you want, high traction, low traction, around corners, and maintaining traction, and treading lightly...might be a limitation.
Itd be a mighty boring world if we all thought the same, Im just trying to point out facts, from the other viewpoint. Im not a blindly ,diehard yami fan... but the thread was polaris vs yami, and Im just pointing out things which disappointed a few of the guys I ride with, who have polaris. Id hate to see someone shell out 7 large on a quad, and find out it isnt what he thought it would be. Lets face it, even with pointing this out, RayUpton is still buying a sportsman, but at least hes aware of what he can expect.
RayUpton, whatever you buy, enjoy it and Welcome to the forums

Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

JERRY-JERRY-JERRY-JERRY-JERRY LOL

Old 02-14-2005, 11:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Some people see them as limitations, and some see them as features.
The cvt needs to be in low for slow going...when it comes time to speed up, with the group, the polaris needs to stop, go to high and continue on...yami can go slow or fast with out stoping to shift, it can be in high range full time. That may be a limitation.
One hand brake which works all brakes...there are times, especially on hills, where its preferable to use the uphill brake, only. This may be a limitation.
No 4wd engine braking...unless you count the jammming of the hubs, but then the fronts are locked together, and the steering gets almost impossible. It certainly isnt user friendly for a newbie, or for a wife, or daughter to try this. Yet on the yami, anyone who can reach the handlebars, and with no training can go down steep hills in comfort. Waiting at the top of the hill, behind a polaris rider, whos trying to lock the hubs, so he can make it down the hill...might be a limitation.Seeing him hit a tree, because he cant turn, certainly is a limitation.
Not being able to engage all 4 wheels at any time you want, high traction, low traction, around corners, and maintaining traction, and treading lightly...might be a limitation.
Itd be a mighty boring world if we all thought the same, Im just trying to point out facts, from the other viewpoint. Im not a blindly ,diehard yami fan... but the thread was polaris vs yami, and Im just pointing out things which disappointed a few of the guys I ride with, who have polaris. Id hate to see someone shell out 7 large on a quad, and find out it isnt what he thought it would be. Lets face it, even with pointing this out, RayUpton is still buying a sportsman, but at least hes aware of what he can expect.
RayUpton, whatever you buy, enjoy it and Welcome to the forums[/quote]

You are forgetting one thing. Some of us know how to ride a Polaris and some don't. The guys you ride with may not be able to ride tricycle much less a fine ATV as Polaris.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2005, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

Our Sportsmans rear tires turn less than 1/4" ( I could hardly measure it) before the fronts Engage, This 4wd system has been and always will be one of the best in the industry. It also Has a better Reverse Ratio. I owned a Kodiak 400 in 02, And I Hated the reverse. Its simplly Geared to high. When Up against Large rocks, or Logs, You almost need to give it full throttle when backing up, just to get it to move, and then it lurches. It doesnt lead to a good sense of control. I have also seen them simply Bog and Not spin the tires IN reverse when running aftermarket tires in very Thick Mud.
My manual says High range is fine from 7 mph and up, Low seems Lower on the SPortsman than My old Kodiak unless they changed the gearing in the new 450.
The Sportsman also doesnt limit you to Low Range Only for the Front DIfferential to work, WHcih Makes It Much more fun in Snow! I suppose as far as Braking goes, If your truly on a steep hill, and its that rough and your In 4x4 mode with the Yammi, Then you have 2 levers, but still have single lever braking as the front and rear wheels are mechanically locked by the tranny., So if you lock up JUST the rear, you lock up the front also.

Old 02-14-2005, 12:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

HondaBuster's right - I'm just about sure I'm going Polaris 500's (will have the wife test-ride this Sunday to be sure she's comfortable on it), and am trying to figure out trailer options and settle on a dealer. I'll be hauling 2 500's and a 50 and also need a place to store them (2 car garage is full). So options are an enclosed trailer -or- a regular trailer and another shed... I like the CargoPros and I like the Tritons. Need to get it figured out this weekend lest this turn into a 6 month decision making process.

thanks again for all of your help and opinions.

Quick Reply: 500SP vs Kodiak 450 and dealer questions NH