Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris scrambler steering

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 02:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris scrambler steering

I have a 04 polaris scrambler, recently it started jerking hard and quick to the right when I am going pretty slow. It will do this in 4wd and 2wd but I haven't noticed when it does it more. It didn't do it for a couple days but today it started doing it real bad then quit. It will just do a quick jerk to the right, my steering doesn't feel right either. I have been shifting between 2wd and 4wd alot lately. thank you for any replys

Old 02-15-2005, 02:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

it is possible that the 4x4 is engauging on only one side and then jerks like it is doing

Old 02-15-2005, 02:58 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

Check your hub oil, and make sure it is not low.....and make sure it is not dirty. My Scrambler did this a few times. We was at Hatfield & McCoys last spring, and we was riding on the road about 50 mph and the right hub wanted to kick in, and it jerk to the right real hard....I just about lost it. That would have hurt...lol. Do a search on this, I asked the same thing. I hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2005, 03:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks I guess I didnt check the hub oil in a while.....also....I do have a torn CV boot but that is on the left side.....and I'm getting jerked to the right....would that torn CV boot have anything to do with it?

Old 02-15-2005, 03:29 AM
RAJ
Pro Rider

No that would not have anything to do with it, but I would go a replace the CV boot though.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: JonUpNOrthWI
ok thanks I guess I didnt check the hub oil in a while.....also....I do have a torn CV boot but that is on the left side.....and I'm getting jerked to the right....would that torn CV boot have anything to do with it?
I had a missing cv boot clamp and some sand got into my cv joint and blew it apart. It was doing the same thing as your describing. While I was riding it would jerk violently to the right. Inspect the cv joint when you replace the boot and see if anything looks broken, I would make sure there's plenty of grease in there too. If not I would go with the hub fluid suggestion.

Old 02-15-2005, 01:29 PM
Pro Rider

its your CV joint. bad part is its already probaly done for, and they arent cheap to replace... i got lucky, mine got covered by warranty. 260-300$...

Old 02-15-2005, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

had the same thing happen to my 99. It was the outer CV. Broken cage. If your lucky you cam just replace the cage and possibly the ball bearings. The ball bearings i believe are 5/8's and you can pick those up from any bearing house. If the cage is broken check out a outfit called rockford constant velocity in Rockford ill. If they won't sell to you direct ask for a dealer near you. The parts inside from there are very reasonable. I paid about $10.00 canadian for the ball and cage kit and about $2.00 canadian for the outer boot to give you an example, but we are a dealer up here. Part # for Cage and ***** 712-02 and boot itself 712-10A. Hope this helps.

Old 02-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

ok thanks for the help......why is it my cv boot my broken boot is on the left and my Im getting jerked to the right? doesnt make sense

Old 02-15-2005, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: JonUpNOrthWI
ok thanks for the help......why is it my cv boot my broken boot is on the left and my Im getting jerked to the right? doesnt make sense
because if you're left hub is broke and only you're right is engaging then the right tire will spin faster then the left and will pull you to the right.

Quick Reply: polaris scrambler steering