Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

98 scrambler overheat { HELP PLEASE}

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 scrambler overheat { HELP PLEASE}

my 98 scram started overheating ... well burping antifreeze..... my overheat light was busted in a roll over awhile back.. since then it seems like whenever i ride for a while my lights stop working----- all elec. stops working but the scram will still run and pull start....
could this be tied in with the over heat ??? if so what the hell is causing the elec. malfunction... could it be just the stupid overheat light
compleats the circut ???? note: elec. problems started first then the over heat......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Do you flush the mud out of your radiator on a regular basis? Get yourself some CRC 2-26 electrical cleaner/lube and spray down your quads elec connections....grounds included. Give the bike a thorough going over and check for loose or corroded connections. If you're very careful, you can run some jumpers to your fan to see if it works. These machines can operate all day long w/o the fan, so I would look at your radiator first. Also, do you notice any "greasy" characteristics to your counterbalance lube....like maybe a seal is bad and coolant is migrating? Check the easy, general maint. items first. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you think you may have gotten air in the coolant system? theres a purge screw on top of the head.

Old 02-16-2005, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

when the electrical problem comes up after riding its probably either the circuit breaker opening or a short somewhere. you may be loosing power to the fan when this happens and causing the overheat. check out your elec. system and youll prolly fix the overheat problem too.

Old 02-16-2005, 06:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks for all your help..... im going to tear it down this weekend..... i hope the over heat is just mud. i talked to the dealer.. and they told me to check my volt regulater , test my fan and check the radiater.....i ordered the new overheat light..and the monster service manual , so i should be able to track down the electrical probblems as soon as i get a wire diagram....wiring is my thing but i need to know what the hell it is...hopefully know one will have any problems ,lol {we know someone will} maybe ill be able to help you guys out in the future ....thanx again..

oh allso to test your fan____ try a papper clip across the two wires on the sensor that triggers the fan.....jumping the fan could charge the system in a negative way......

Old 02-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a similar problem with my 99 scrambler , turned out to be the off/ run / start switch went bad. I lost all lights, fan, awd , starter but machine still ran with pull starter. After I traced the problem back to the switch I found that I could get everything working by playing around with the switch but had to replace it to keep everything working. Hope this helps.