Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

K&N makes this much of a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 12:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N makes this much of a difference?

Just making sure everyone noticed, K&N is claiming almost 8 HP on the Raptor with the K&N air filter AS WELL AS their K&N Powerlid. Not just the filter alone. Even then I still think it is exaggerated.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Range Rover

You can't really think of the K&N filter as a horsepower mod. It does increase intake air flow, but not enough to make any horsepower/torque that you can feel through the seat of your pants. If this is the <u>ONLY</u> mod you've made to a stone stock machine, and you CAN feel the change, you must have the most sensitive "keister dyno" in the world! I've got a job for you as your **** would save me a MINT in dyno time.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

The K&N is an air FILTER. And does it's job quite well. However, it's also a double-edged sword. I've heard claims that the K&N only gets better in it's filtering role the more dirt it traps. 100% True. "Wet" filters do stop more contaminents than the stock dry, paper filter. BUT... the more dirt, trapped in the filter, means a loss of air flow and reduced power. A power loss that CAN be felt. Keep them maintained and you've got a great insurance policy for your motor. Forget about them, and they only drag you down.

BTW.... I swear by them for their filtration quality!! I run them on ALL my vehicles. From my riding lawn mower to my 1 ton diesel tow rig.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

I just put my new k& n air filter on my 2004 sportsman 700 and it isnt geting enought air threw it. It is killing my engin. Has anyone else had this problem. My first experiance with k & n is a bad one. $50 for a ir filter that is performence and it wont even idle with my mechine.

Old 02-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

Did you oil it after you got it? They come preoiled. If its oiled too much it wont let enough air through.

Old 02-18-2005, 08:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 2004 700 EFI and it was sputtering at full throttle. I brought it in the dealership and after troubleshooting they said it was because of the newly installed K&N filter. They said it was running to lean. They changed the filter and it solved the problem. Does this make any sense?????

Old 02-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Penetrator1
I have a 2004 700 EFI and it was sputtering at full throttle. I brought it in the dealership and after troubleshooting they said it was because of the newly installed K&N filter. They said it was running to lean. They changed the filter and it solved the problem. Does this make any sense?????
Not really, the EFI system should have adjusted the fuel/air mixture. I'm running a K&N on my EFI, plug looks the same, machine runs great...

if you had a Carb'd model, then I could see this happening....it is possible it could change slightly, but not much

Old 02-18-2005, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider

Dave's right, with EFI the fuel would be added correctly for the increase in air, just like it is when it gets colder out. Your dealer is wrong.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Range Rover

Are you guy sure the EFI models will richen the mixture up with the K&N filter installed???? I also have a EFI bike and I know the machine does not have any kind of O2 sensor in the exhaust. Without the O2 sensor how does the machine know it's lean???
I have read an article comparing the Polaris EFI to the new other brand and the dealer had to re-map the computer because they were taking the EFI Polaris machine to high alt. riding..
I believe that is why Dyno Jet makes the programer for the EFI bike so you can make adjustments like a jet changes in a carb bike.

Old 02-18-2005, 11:25 PM
Range Rover

I didn't get an 8 hp increase on my modded Grand prix(supercharged) when I added an open cone K&N filter-maybe 2 or 3!No way on a quad...

Old 02-19-2005, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

The EFI will adjust for temperature because it has an "Intake Air Temperature Sensor". It does not have an oxygen sensor and will not compensate for a lean condition.

Quick Reply: K&N makes this much of a difference?