Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

K&N makes this much of a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 02:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N makes this much of a difference?

Originally posted by: TEXMud
The EFI will adjust for temperature because it has an "Intake Air Temperature Sensor". It does not have an oxygen sensor and will not compensate for a lean condition.
Thats what I was thinking also, and since it wont compensate you will need to either purchase the equipment or software to adjust the efi yourself or spend as much time trying to find a dealer who knows how.

I had a friend with a connondale that just ended up buying the software so he could make all his own adjustments and do his own fine tuning etc, and it was prob the best $$$ he spent on the machine. Now he can move the power curve and immediately compensate for any changes in air temp, humidity, elevation or intake and exhaust flow changes. So unlike many auto set ups these efi systems dont adjust as they should (and neither do many of the older auto ones either).

As far as K&N goes they do make a filter that allows additional air flow over the other popular designs, and if you maintain them right they will work for a long time without any serious problems, but unless your able to fully understand how you get more air, what it really does for your engine, and why some of the other things that come with the additional air can effect your engine it may not be worth it for you in the long run. Also if your not one to be totally in controll and maybe even a little nuts about maintainence you may be better off with a more restrictive but lower maint filter (like the stock one).

I believe the K&N claims, well I believe there a little biased and a little above what you and I would find at least, but I also believe there not that far from the actuall gains you can get from totally stock. I have found that when I tried a uni foam filter (supposedly freer flowing than stock, but looks very similar) I had to rejet 3-4 sizes lower on the main jet, and could drop the needle one clip. That shows me that it doesnt flow nearly as much as the K&N, but many do believe the foam filters protect slightly better from smaller particles too.

Dont want to get into the K&N v/s foam filter debate now (its usually a good one though) but I know from personal experience that the K&N does flow considerably more air than the stock raptor filter, when combined with the pro design intake mod and suggested air box mods etc this alone makes a serious increase in power, and when combined with a freer flowing aftermarket exhaust you get a considerable increase over the "plugged up" and restictive stk set up.

I have seen people who didnt want to be messing with rejetting their carbs see so much of an increase that we had to stuff a towel into the air box in order to reduce air flow enough for the engine to even run, and have to think about how restrictive it would be to fold up and stuff a damn towel under your air box lid, it was that bad.

Now these had pipes too so that plays into this also, but my point is that the K&N design does flow more air, and since an engine isnt much more than an air pump that uses gas to pump the air the more air you can get into it, the more power it can make (simple terms but not far from actuall either)

hope that helped out etc

Old 02-21-2005, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N makes this much of a difference?

Originally posted by: 67bullet
I have read an article comparing the Polaris EFI to the new other brand and the dealer had to re-map the computer because they were taking the EFI Polaris machine to high alt. riding..
That will be retracted in the next issue if your talking about the 700 EFI shootout in ATV Rider.
It was the clutching that was adjusted for the extremely high altitude not the EFI.

see thread.
shootout thread