Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

GPS ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS ?

Costs are anywhere from $100 on up! The biggest most important part is to get one with mapping. And you will more than likely have an expense for some decent software.

Old 02-22-2005, 01:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

Do they all show elevation and speed?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-22-2005, 02:03 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default GPS ?

I have the etrex vista, rhino 130, and now the GPSMAP 60CS. Take it for what its work but the general consensus is Garmin is more user friendly than Magellan. I have the topo software, and this stuff opens up a whole new world to you. Think of the GPS as an investment, it could last you for a while. There are several things you need to look for if you want a good one. Downloadable maps and software updates, electronic compass, WAAS enabled, & a fairly sized display (your preference). If you have never owned a GPS they can be a bit tedious. Don't wait til you get lost to try to get familiar with it. I would have to say for the novice, one of the best features to look for on a GPS would be the electronic compass. I promise this will come in handy. Hope this helped a little.

Chad

PS, Look at the new Garmin E-Trex Vista C

Old 02-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS ?

I have the Magellan Meridian Color...a little pricey...but one of the best on the market in my opinion. I also purchased the Magellan Mapsend Topo software and the DirectRoute software. Couple this software with a 256meg SD card and you can download a ton of specific areas in very specific detail. The color screen with changeable contrast and brightness is also great.

Make sure you get a good padded case to go with it. For your 4-wheeler, the bicycle mount can't be beat. Easy on, easy off.

The screen, as with any GPS unit, can be easily scratched, so never wipe the dust off with a gloved hand. When my screen get's dusty from riding the trails, I just simply rinse it off in the nearest creek or pond . It's waterproof, and rinsing it doesn't hurt it.

Believe me, the Meridian Color will get you back to the truck quicker than a homing pigeon...

Ride safe!

XMARINE

Old 02-22-2005, 03:07 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS ?

The best all around (quality, price, ease of use, support, quality, signal ability, and accuracy) GPS units IMO are the Magellan. I have a Sport Trak Pro, I have a Garmin GPS Map 76 at work. The bottom line is there is no comparison. They'll both get the job done, but the Magellan will do better. and with more features. I use mine for Geocaching, Hunting, Fishing, and ATVing.

I have friends and relatives that have both Garmin and Magellan, and they are always impressed by my Magellan Sport Trak Pro. The color scresns are sweet, but they are not necessary, the Magellan Merridian Series is sweet becasue of the removable storage and bigger display, but they cost a little more. The Sport Trak series is packed full of features at a great price.

If you can find a Sport Trak Topo, it has all of the Topo Data pre-loaded, If not you can use the Magellan software to load the topo data. You can use Delorme, EasyGPS or other programs to create routes and load them on your GPS.

Here are some links to sites to purchase GPS Units:

GPSDiscount.com

GPS4Fun

GPS City

I got mine at GPSdiscount.com, They are good to deal with, cheap prices, quick delivery...

Here is a link to some GPS review Info:

GPS Information

Hope this helps,
ZMan079

Old 02-22-2005, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Default GPS ?

XMarine,

To add to ypur post, I just keep mine in GPS/cell phone pocket on my tank bag, keeps the dust, dirt off of it, and protects it from other types of damages.

I keep it in my shirt, pants, or coat pocket when hunting. No matter where I keep it, it amazingly still keeps a signal, and I can use it navigate back.

ZMan079

Old 02-22-2005, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

Another thing to note is that models with external antennas are much better with signal strength than internals. For instance my old eTrex Vista would pick up 5-6 satellites at most and even loose signal in the woods. The new 60CS consistantly has 11 of 12 satellites and doesnt loose signal.

Old 02-22-2005, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS ?

Found this forum site about GPS
Pocket GPS World

Old 02-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

Hey ZMan079 and HELLHOUND. Great web sites!!
Thanks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

Originally posted by: TEXMud
Another thing to note is that models with external antennas are much better with signal strength than internals. For instance my old eTrex Vista would pick up 5-6 satellites at most and even loose signal in the woods. The new 60CS consistantly has 11 of 12 satellites and doesnt loose signal.
My Vista always locks on great. Remember also that not all satellites are overhead at all times, there are times you will only be able to get 5 or 6 satellites. Other times you'll get max....May have been something wrong with your Vista. The 60CS is a nice unit, too big for my purposes for hunting, but would work great on my ATV or dual-sport...