Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

GPS ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS ?

What is the best all round hand held GPS unit ?
Been Thinking of getting one.....
JP

Old 02-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS ?

I use a GARMIN eTrex Legend i like it because of the small size and i like theway you can navigate through the functions also you can down load topo maps from map source to it they also offer free updates from there site. Garmin also makes this unit in color now. Magellan also makes a good unit its a little bit bigger than garmin they also offer updates and you can down load to them not sure what software they use .It all boils down to what you want it for,how much you want it to do and how much you want to spend.Either way i would go with Garmin or Magellan walmart sells both also check out there web sites.I know a couple of people that use the Garmin eTrex (no bells and whistles )and they love it also same thing with the Magellans.One tip if you plan to use it in cold weather use lithium batteries they work better in the cold i use them all year long they seem to last longer.
Hope this helps

Garmin

Magellan

Old 02-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

I upgraded from the Garmin eTrex Vista to the Garmin GPSMAP60CS. Great product.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default GPS ?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]I have used GPS for more than 10 years, I think Garmin is more user freindly. Last year I bought a Magellan Topo after trying a similar Garmin unit . For off road/back road trails the software for Magellan was just better in my area....Wisconsin/Michigan. The software was included (Topo Mapsend). Rhinofrank.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS ?

I have a garmim 3+, with a built in basemap of North America. Which includes all major roads, along with quite a few county roads and and geographic features(lakes, rivers, most bodies of water, with the exception of smaller lakes etc). The basemap has detailed info on all exits on major highways that would tell you what businesses were located on that exit. McDonalds, BK, etc. and what gas stations are there also. It is capable of loading additional, more detailed maps of counties with just about every no name road, ditch number, private airstrips, you probably get the picture.
For me, if I were purchasing a gps again it would have a basemap included. It is a feature that can be disabled at anytime and turned on again at your liking. You can use the unit in your car on trips (leave your map at home). I always take mine on jet airplanes on vacations, I get a window seat and I know exactly where I am at anytime. I know how fast the jet is moving, how long it will take to get to the destination airport and what cities, states, rivers, lakes we are traveling over. I've taken it to the carribean on a couple of cruises. The basemap shows all of the carribean islands, with their roads, features etc. I didnt realize this was part of the basemap, but it is, along with mexico, canada. I know my gps is outdated by todays standards, but works great for me. I dont know anything about magellan units, but I'm sure they are great. And they also offer units with basemaps as well. I saw a Garmin "Legend" around x-mas time for 139.99. A great price for that unit which usually sell in the under 200.00 range. My bro-in law has this unit, he loves it. A unit with a basemap isnt much more than a unit without, in my opinion, well worth the extra buck. Good luck

Old 02-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

Hey soupcan. Great advice. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I wondered about the new units. I have a Garmin GPS II+. A bit older than yours. LOL. I use the bread crumb feature which I compare to a trail map to aproximate where I'm at. I've been eye balling the 276C as my next portable unit.
Have a good day.
BryceGTX

Old 02-21-2005, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

what does a gps run costwise. can the average joe get by with a basic gps?

Old 02-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

You know what silverbullet2005. I think maybe the most important feature is the bread crumb trail. Even if you can't see a map, you can always follow your way back by following the way you came. I think this feature is probably on even the lower priced units. LOL, my unit would be considered an inexpensive unit now-a-days.
BryceGTX

Old 02-22-2005, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS ?

I have both the Garmin eTrex Vista for my hiking, biking and hunting and use a Garmin eMap (no longer made, but awesome unit, larger display) for the ATV and my Dual Sport bike.

You can now get most units in color, including the eTrex.....wanna get one, just bought to much other $hit lately....

Old 02-22-2005, 12:56 AM
Trailblazer
Default GPS ?

I have an Etrex Legend but you can get a basic Etrex model for alittle over $100.