Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

who has roller clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005 | 10:44 PM
|
Range Rover
Default who has roller clutch

putting on roller clutch. i got from AAEN. took it apart the secondary un screwed buttons. put on helix or cam. bolted it down put spring in #2 pos. on both turn it 1/4 turn put snap ring on. here is problem. didnt look right. the 2 halves were the belt goes are very close together. put the secondary back on quad belt tight and is flush to the outside of secondary. does not even go down in to the secondary. will not even hardly spin belt engaging wanting to turn motor ... i have had apart before putting new spring . went right together, now im putting roller setup on im having trouble ... maybe i wound it to tight ????... anyone please help thank you in advance..... curb[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-23-2005 | 10:51 PM
Pro Rider

curb, did you put on a new belt or the old one? trying to picture this - is the belt riding up out of the secondary clutch, like its not dropping down in some?

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:03 PM
|
Range Rover

using old belt.. yeh not droping down. riding up on secondary? flush with the outside of the secondary.i just took it back apart to look at it. went to put back together snap ring broke pliers broke... but i put it together spun it 1/4 turn held it ( man my hands hurt lol )its like the two halves were the belt goes are to close together belt will not drop down any?????????

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

how many shims do you have between the clutch halves? you may need to reshim.

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:16 PM
|
Range Rover

just the two stock shims.. from reading on here nobody talked about putting in mre shims... i cant remember how far down should the belt drop in the secondary unit. i wish i would have looked closer when i took it apart.... do i have to order the shims from aaen???? thanks for helping me on this...

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

you can get the shims from a local dealer if they have them. most times they'll have them laying around from reshimming clutches. there are 3 thickness. the way to get proper belt deflection is to lay a straight edge, like a 12" rule or someting across the top of the belt and pressing down between the 2 clutches with moderate pressure and measuring from the edge of the rule to the belt, it should be around 1- 1/4" or so, if less need to add shims 1 or 2 can make a big differnce. as the belt wears you can take some out to compensate. the service manual for clutches says not to run without any shims, another words if it gets that far you need a belt or have another problem.

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:46 PM
|
Range Rover

i know shims are a certain thickness.. im going to go to the hardware store. they have shims hope that big around.. ill take my other shims to gauge thickness and size than i will measure the belt deflection.. my local dealer claims to have every item in stock. than i go there and they just ran out . than it takes 7 - 10 days to get what from supplier what a joke that place is lol.. thanks for your help... yo one last thing just to make sure i am doing this right... when push the seacondary together i goes just past a 1/4 turn push it down put in clip .. the sheath will turn slightly with some pressure from me trying to turn it right ..or will it be to hard to turn???????

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The roller will make it a little easier to turn than with the old slider helix. If it seemed to go together fine and you turned it CC to put it together, then I say asseble it without the clutch cover on and see what happens. You almost cant go wrong putting it together unless you dont preload the secondary.If you dont feel good about it then I would most definitely call Aaen and see what they say.

Old 02-23-2005 | 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

yea, when you put the 2 together, then slide helix on part way, then turn to where the helix passes the first bearing on the drum, then push drum down in place. then with the clip on you should still be able to turn the sheaves some and then it will "snap" back against the helix. pm me your address and ill send you some shims out in morning if you want. Jeff

Old 02-24-2005 | 12:19 AM
|
Range Rover

i got my neighbors snap ring pliers. got it back together.put strait edge up there man almost 2 inches of play. put the strait edge up on top of the belt in between the front clutch and the secondary held it down tight and in the middle pulled the belt down. there was about 1 3/4 play wow ... just seems like it never grab the front clutch like that and turn it every so often... jeffro206 thank you very much on helping me so much... you are running this roller on the secondary ? you think i will be allright running it in the 2-2 position. it was running in the 3-2 postion with the clutch kit i got from rick ritter.. aaen told me to run 2-2 but i think i need to run what it was set at before.. lol i really need to buy that book from aaen on clutches... nahhh i got u guys lol

Quick Reply: who has roller clutch