Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator wheelie

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005 | 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

These posts always make me smile - " The mags lead me to think that the Predator cant do a wheelie, is to heavy to get off the ground, and to slow to stay with anything but the oldest of 400cc sport quads". Anyone who actually owns one knows better…. I think I still have some picts in my gallery of the Predator doing all the things the mags would lead you to believe were/are impossible.

Old 02-26-2005 | 12:10 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

Originally posted by: MAaudioX10
Thanks, RAJ. Just trying to extend the wealth of knowledge about these Preds.Daranello, you can usually get a good idea of how the bike looks. Are there worn spots around the frame. A good place to look is the frame next to the pegs. Usually, the boots rubs on the frame there and you can get a good idea of the condition. If it is completely worn through, chances are the bike got ridden a lot.I won't lie to you, 03' Predators have had transmission problems. This lies solely in the way the bike is treated and ridden. You can not powershift these 03' Predators. Even if it is for a little while. Although, it may seem minor to you, internally you would be destroying the transmission. Resulting in a expensive repair. Polaris has a update kit for the 03's, which basically is an 04 setup. In 04', the tranny problems were addressed and I have not heard a single 04' losing its tranny. Polaris will not admit to this, obviously. Doing this, Polaris would bury themselves in 03' customers demanding there bike be fixed.Now, I do not mean to scare you. There are several people that I know with 03' Preds and not one of them have had a single problem with the bike, whatsoever. Me being one. My transmission spins great and shifts like a champ. Has since day 1. I did switch to a better oil which, I believe, saves these trannies.The reason I warn you is because you do not know how this bike was ridden. Did the owner prior to you powershift the chit out of it? I am finding more and more that this is a very common practice among ATV riders. I NEVER powershift! NEVER! Just want you to make a wise purchase. I love my Predator and I will not trade it for anything but, it pays to know. Knowledge is prevention!Text
Too late to change my mind now! I put a deposit down< get it next week!!

Old 02-26-2005 | 02:30 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Predator wheelie

Daranello, my friend, you will love the bike. One day you may get to the stage that even if it does break it is still worth it to fix 1 time. It is a hell of a bike and I think you will fall in love with it.

Old 03-02-2005 | 12:09 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

so is the best way to start a wheelie in 2nd gear while rolling???

Old 03-02-2005 | 12:15 AM
Range Rover
Default Predator wheelie

Depending on the type of ground i'm on, but hard pack i love third gear wheelies, on looser stuff i do second

Old 03-02-2005 | 12:23 AM
Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

With a few mods I like to start with 4th gear wheelies can get good speed then!! LOL

Old 03-02-2005 | 01:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

Once you get the hang of it, its just like riding a wheelie on any other quad. As for me when riding fast trails i have a hard time keeping the front end down once the powerband comes on.

TR

Old 03-02-2005 | 01:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

I put absolutely no trust in what magazines say anymore...... They're hypocritical and its all about advertisment money.

I find the front end heavier on my pred, than say my friends 400ex but I have no problem riding wheelies as long as you want me to. If you've ever rode a wheelie you know theres a "sweet spot" where the quad seems to balance its self out and all you have to do is tap the gas or break to keep it up.... The Preds "sweet spot" is just narrower than other sport quads, but by no means impossible to find.

MA gave you some great advice, and the only other thing I can add to it is to check the frame over well by the engine headstay mounts for cracks. The 03's are known to crack there, but were fixed on the 04's.

All in all its a great quad, and have to say I'm very glad I bought one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2005 | 09:15 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

Originally posted by: Flynbryan
I can add to it is to check the frame over well by the engine headstay mounts for cracks. The 03's are known to crack there, but were fixed on the 04's.All in all its a great quad, and have to say I'm very glad I bought one. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
If I have cracks, how do I fix them???

Old 03-02-2005 | 09:28 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Default Predator wheelie

Find someone who can weld. I have a guy that does all my welding, and when he is done, it will never break in the same spot again.

Quick Reply: Predator wheelie