Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is a Sportsman Twin right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a Sportsman Twin right for me?

tyler711, I'm not sure when the rev limiter steps in but probably sometime before 7100, but maybe not with the 400 because isn't it an overhead cam engine? In that case it may be higher than the pushrod twins.

It doesn't sound like Stumppuller is hauling enough weight to worry about premature belt wear and the speeds mentioned will maintain belt engagement in high range.

Old 02-25-2005, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

700vtwinman, how does that beast run in the winter? Forget it, just looked at your location. How has it treated you? I almost had that machine in my garage until the last minute when I went with the Sp600, always wonder if I made the right choice. I think with the chores I do the extra weight of the Polaris was the way to go. Still...???

Old 02-25-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: tyler711
Zerowick's right, a clutch will not go, it is the belt that would eventually go first. As long as you keep moving, there shouldnt be a problem. And if you had a lot of weight, they can still move pretty well in low gear. If i was carrying an extra belt, I would have no worries whatsoever.

Zerowick, what is the rev limiter set to on the sportsman's? I just came in from doing donuts on the ice and when i looked down once the tach said 7100 rpm [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. I was in low range, isnt it supposed to stop somewheres?

Also, stumppuller, there are many aftermarket belts available. These would help if you did find that the stock belt didn't like your riding style (even though it should be completely fine, those transmissions are very tough).

Tyler
when i bought my 500 i talked to my dealer about all that stuff he said the revv limiter kicks in around 7000 to 7200, your right inbetween so your machine was probablly kickin out u just didnt notice, ive had mine up to 6800 on the road and couldnt get it any higher not that i would want to

Old 02-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Polaris500HO4x4
Originally posted by: tyler711
Zerowick's right, a clutch will not go, it is the belt that would eventually go first. As long as you keep moving, there shouldnt be a problem. And if you had a lot of weight, they can still move pretty well in low gear. If i was carrying an extra belt, I would have no worries whatsoever.

Zerowick, what is the rev limiter set to on the sportsman's? I just came in from doing donuts on the ice and when i looked down once the tach said 7100 rpm [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]. I was in low range, isnt it supposed to stop somewheres?

Also, stumppuller, there are many aftermarket belts available. These would help if you did find that the stock belt didn't like your riding style (even though it should be completely fine, those transmissions are very tough).

Tyler
when i bought my 500 i talked to my dealer about all that stuff he said the revv limiter kicks in around 7000 to 7200, your right inbetween so your machine was probablly kickin out u just didnt notice, ive had mine up to 6800 on the road and couldnt get it any higher not that i would want to
Thanks, I figured it was about as high as it would go. Donuts rock!

Old 02-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 700vtwinman
Originally posted by: SPORTSMAN70003
I would say with the type of riding that you do a twin would be a good choice. As long as you maintain the atv you pick it should last. We have three 03 700's that ride in our group an none have had the first major problem One boot and one starter.
Dude....your sportsman 700 looks awesome. Great job with all of the accessories.

Thank you very much for the commpliment.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

I absolutely LOVE my 600 twin, no problems yet...... I did put a heel clicker on so I don't have to shift into low unless I'm loading.

Old 02-25-2005, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

the heel clicker system does lower belt engagement rpm but doesn't effect the gearbox ratios so you will still need to use lo range with a heavy load to reduce slippage.

Old 02-25-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

honestly there is only two polaris i like and thats a predator and the 800twin efi

Old 02-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Actually a clutch kit does change the ratios thru the curve, not the final though. My Heelclicker makes a huge diffrence pulling a load, it gets a better bite on the belt and you get a lot less slippage at low rpm.

( and no, I don't sell em, but I really like the mod.)

Old 02-28-2005, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

lovemud, how does she run in the winter, did you get the carb update installed? mine runs much better with the update, just a slight hesitation at the bottom of the throttle below 30 degrees. thought about the k&n filter but for close to $50 it's hard to take the chance of it not making a difference. the 600 is a great machine both playing and working.

Quick Reply: Is a Sportsman Twin right for me?