Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Warn 2.5ci winch trouble/I love my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn 2.5ci winch trouble/I love my dealer

I think I am going to find a few of those small clamps tyler and keep them and the wrenches in the storage compartment under the seat. or better yet I would like to have a rear rack bag/hard storage to keep stuff in. ya never know when something like a snapped winch cable is going to occur and need to be ready for it, I am glad I was just down the street in the mobil home park plowing and could ride home with the plow down on the ground and not like out in the woods stuck in the mud or something like that. my next mod was going to be the 800 headpipe and snorkle but I think I will get a rear hard storage unit or rack bag and maybe a synthetic winch rope for plowing.

When I was at the dealer getting the winch cable fixed they gave me the choice to either recut the cable and reclip for the loop or to just put a new cable on. I would have had no problem with reclipping for the loop but they didn't have actual winch cable clips and would have used some other sort of clips, I told him I would feel more comfortable having the new cable installed.

Old 03-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Quote from tyler711- "Hey, I took two small u-clamps, chopped off the frayed cable, and re-crimped the end with the hook on. I covered it with some electrical tape and it works and looks great. I do have another cable around that I will use in the summer, and will switch in the frayed/shortened cable in the winter. Why spend 40$ on a new cable when only the last foot is shredded?"

i couldn't agree with you more!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2005, 03:00 PM
Range Rover

My winch cable broke last winter just as I was starting to plow. I didn't feel like driving into town for the u-bolt like clamps so I looked around in the garage and decided to try using three small adjustable type hose clamps that I found. Those hose clamps lasted for about a dozen hours worth of plowing. They didn't fail me until I had bought the u-bolts and was in the process of changing the hose clamps out for the u-bolts. What luck!