Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I went riding . Bike quit 8 miles from home .

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I went riding . Bike quit 8 miles from home .

Sunday was really nice in Illinois this weekend . I had most of my promises kept from the week so at 4pm I took my old motorsicle out of the garage and decided ot hit the back roads for a little relaxation . Things were going well , my old geekmobile yamaha was running like a charm until all of a sudden it croaked . Did you ever notice how quiet it gets when you are in the middle of nowhere and your motor stops ?

Luckily I had a cell phone , so I called the lovely and talented wife of mine and she grabbed a couple tie downs and came to my rescue . We had a couple laughs at my misfortune and took me out for a steak and held my hand and told me all men have ignition trouble sometimes . This made me feel lots better ...

So ,,,,, here I am -- a 1977 Yamaha , I am sure the ignition parts are discontinued , so I guess Ebay and calling my bike hoarding buddies it what's in store for me .

I hope you all had a nice weekend too .

Rick Ritter

Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

dont that just suck?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] itwas nice here too, but didnt get any riding in on the sport. its still in pieces, but hopefully by next weekend.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] check out conigs post about motor problems and the weekend he had, talk about when it rains it pours. hope ya get it fixed

Old 03-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Rick, I feel your pain. My 71 Yammy DT250 has died on me just about EVERY time I took it out (which is why I bought my Polaris, it has NEVER left me stranded). And I know what you mean about finding parts for them old yammies. Near impossible!!!!

Old 03-08-2005, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

go here and look up your oem part number yamaha parts lookup
then go here and put in oem part numberextreme power sports

Old 03-08-2005, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

i forgot to mention they probally have the parts but you will have to pay what they want!

Old 03-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider

I hate it when that happens, at least the cell phone worked where you were at. I ride usually by myself, here in New Mexico you can be a long long ways from anywhere and cell phone coverage is sparse. I'm going to split up this weekend hopefully, one day on my KLR650 and the other day on the Sportsman 700....maybe find someone to go on the ride with the ATV....of course the KLR will be by myself.

I've done plenty of walks, but sometimes when you are 40 miles from the truck, it can get hairy. I was riding 30 miles to my elk hunting area this year, each way....and the first time I did it I thought 'I wonder if I have enough fuel', as my machine was brand new. Made it with plenty to spare. I shot my elk 20 miles from my truck, but not a big deal, got cold on the way home in the dark....winter can be hell though if you have to walk and don't have any help.

Old 03-08-2005, 07:04 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry to hear about your luck , But you did get a steak dinner so it sort of evens out....lol
I too have an old yamaha that needs parts. A old 360 Torque induction that needs a carb, Exhaust and some TLC . Maybe I will haul it out of the garage and take a closer look it has been sitting for a long time.
Anyways Rick good luck with the parts hunting

Old 03-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think those kind of thoughts all the time when I take out the 'waterbuffalo". If it's anything more than oil or antifreeze you can forget it.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

Rick,

Heres one for ya. I have a yam 1980's 400 IT dirt bike (dual spark plugs). One fine fall day I was riding by my self in the beautiful colorado mountains. I was putting along all by my self and all of a sudden I hear a pop followed by a hiss as my bike dies. As I look over my bike I notice that the spark plug on the right side is missing. Now this bike has dual spark plugs, using only one at a time the other is a spare. which is really convenient, unless one works loose and shoots off like a rocket never to be found. To make a long story short I never found the plug and had a long push back.

Old 03-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rick sorry to hear about your luck seems like acouple of us have had an nteresting weekend or two.

Quick Reply: I went riding . Bike quit 8 miles from home .