Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

New Pics ! 700 Sportsman " Turbo "

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 Sportsman " Turbo "

Hi Len...

Heck of a project you got going there. We've dabbled a bit with forced induction and it can be both a blessing and a curse. You can get unbelieveable output, but have to jump through quite a few hoops to get there. Sounds like you're going in the right direction with a "stage 1" type build. Too many "prototypers" don't go that route and build without evolution in mind.

I agree with you in your estimate of 6-7psi. Any more and you'll really be putting the motor to the test without other "strength" mods. Also watch your gaskets. Too much boost, pops them faster than Orville Redenbacher pops corn. I've seen those little Garrett hair dryers...(BTW... Good choice!!) Ain't they just the cutiest little things? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Good luck on your project!! Keep us posted with status reports!!

Old 03-09-2005, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: moosehunter
Hi Len...

Heck of a project you got going there. We've dabbled a bit with forced induction and it can be both a blessing and a curse. You can get unbelieveable output, but have to jump through quite a few hoops to get there. Sounds like you're going in the right direction with a "stage 1" type build. Too many "prototypers" don't go that route and build without evolution in mind.

I agree with you in your estimate of 6-7psi. Any more and you'll really be putting the motor to the test without other "strength" mods. Also watch your gaskets. Too much boost, pops them faster than Orville Redenbacher pops corn. I've seen those little Garrett hair dryers...(BTW... Good choice!!) Ain't they just the cutiest little things? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Good luck on your project!! Keep us posted with status reports!!
You got it Moosehunter ! , I'm no expert on turbo charging , but have been to enough race tracks and seen enough iron over the years to realize the practical limits on what already exists , ........... I hav'nt seen the inside of one of these , other then pics , so I don't want a bunch of broken parts ,............. It may be capable of handling 10-12 psi with perfectly optimized spark , fuel , and air temp control but EFI will have to wait , I don't want to get too greedy for power and just want to keep it simple and inexpensive as possible to start

As I said before , I belive this polaris Twin , 2 valve pushrod , is inferior to other brands , and never gunna set any records in the HP department with it's engine design , but it's overall layout in the machine , cylinder layed down 45 degrees , presents us with an advantage over other ATV designs for turbo charging

Len

Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Man; at 14:1 compression you had better find some REALLY good gas to burn!!!!! It's not going to be cheap to run. Have fun with your project.

Old 03-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Default New Pics ! 700 Sportsman " Turbo "

To see the new turbo pics visit my photo page......click on the camera icon beneath my name. (as soon as moderators approve it)

Old 03-10-2005, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

how much did the turbo cost you?

Old 03-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

Newduck ,

Retail on the GT 12 turbo from " Precission Turbo " is around $680

I can't disclose what I paid for it because we are on a dealer program with them

Len

Old 03-10-2005, 03:17 PM
Pro Rider

thats not a bad price. Is the turbo off a small car? Or did they make you a custom one? Do they have a website? What all goes into the ignition when you put the turbo on(meaning what do you have to mod).

Old 03-10-2005, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer

To my knowlege the GT12 is us on may types on internal combustion engines ranging from 400-1100 cc

They claim it can support 120 hp

Here is a link to their site

precision turbo site

Old 03-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

but you cant just throw the turbo on with out any electrical mods can you?

Old 03-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Trailblazer

That's right ! , ....... we will have modified ignition control to go with it

Quick Reply: New Pics ! 700 Sportsman " Turbo "