Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Adding low range to scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding low range to scrambler

I've been trying to figure out what all is needed to add the explorer trans to a scrambler if/when I get one. I know it's a complete bolt in if you get the explorer 400 tranny because it's got the same gears. What I wanna know is what does that do to your tire size requirement since the explorer has the same tires front and rear, does that mean you can convert to the same setup, or is the gearing in the front different. if it is different, then where would you buy a rear sprocket that would fit to change the gearing over to be able to use the same size tires front and rear. Will a normal sprocket fit? and how do I know what size to get?

Old 03-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thumper, this is what i have been saying for awhile about tire size on the scramblers. You don't need to have one size larger in the front on scramblers. You can run the same size tires front and rear on the scramblers. You do not need to change sprockets on the scrambler. When installing the explorer trani in the scrambler, if want to keep the stock tires you can. My 2004 scrambler 500 is running the same size tires front and rear with the stock sprockets for a year with no problems. Hope this helps.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:36 PM
Range Rover

Well here's teh problem I see with that logic: If you put the same tire size on front and rear, then the rear axle will be spinning slower than the front right? This means that it will come out of 4WD a lot quicker because the front will be spinning faster. probably not a problem if you're on soft ground, but I bet it would be a lot more work on the system on a hard surface.

I'm not saying i'm right... I'm just theorizing. Have you tried it on a hard surface?

Old 03-09-2005, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

Yes i have used same size tires on hard ground. We go to Wellsville at least twice a month in the summer months. I sometimes will leave it in 4 wheel drive climbing hills or when running from mud hole to mud hole. Also i have tried to smoke all 4 tires on hard dirt, to see how much power i lost with the bigger diameter tires, engagement of the 4 wheel drive doesn't seem to have changed. Now I know it has to, do to mathmatics but I don't think it's enough to worry about. My buddy had a 400 explorer and he never had any engagement problems with his 4 wheel drive. The difference in the tires sizes just change the quickness of the engagement of the 4 wheel drive.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

I agree with mr toys. Ive been running 24s on the back of mine for 5 years with no problems (yet) on dry or wet conditions

Old 04-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Trailblazer

Thumper,

I'd like to set my scrambler up with a high/low tranny like your talking about. Have you got the details on what models and model years will bolt up like you said. I'm running 26 in the back and 27 in front and when I get in sticky mud I can't turn the tires. I just end up smoking the belt. PM me if you want to talk out of the forum.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Range Rover

Here is a quote from MR. Toys: "You want to use the 1341379, that is the one I did all the comparison on to the scrambler trani. The other 1341381 is for the 250 expedition and all though it had better gearing the gears looked weeker. So use the 1341379. As far as that built before one in 2001, I don't have a clue. The 2002 also used the 1341379. Mine is in and works great. The only other problem I ran in to was the air filter box doesn't fit with this trani. You need to notch out the right rear corner and use some plastic epoxy and reglue the corner in upside done to clear the low range shifter. Also when you get the trani you have high forward, normal reverse and low forward. There is no low reverse. I don't know if you new that, I didn't til I got the trani."

This came from another thread where we talked about it more in depth.

http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...hreadid=443170

Mr. Toys has his all set up. I'm still waiting for my 600 Stroker motor to come in from FST before I even mess with the low range. I figured I might as well do that at the same time since I'm pulling everything apart at that time. Hopefully that'll be in the next couple of weeks.