Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler 500 vs Suzuki Vinson for trail riding?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler 500 vs Suzuki Vinson for trail riding?

Hello,

I have a 2002 Scrambler 500 and love it. I'm thinking of getting a second ATV for my son and my wife to ride. How does the 2003 (the 2002's had problems) and later Suzuki Vinson compare to the Scrambler as a sporty trail quad?

I'm coming from a Raptor and Honda 400ex, so I want to keep at some level of sportiness (new word I invented).

Thanks,
Lorrin

Old 03-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

The Vinson is obviously a step in the Utility direction (when compared to a Scrambler) but it still is one of the sportiest utes out there and possibly the best handling. As far as comparing it to the Scrambler, well, I'd say it's pretty close to the Scrambler with a bit more ground clearance and low range. Just like the Scrambler is has selectable 2wd/4wd which is definately what you want in a 4x4. If a sporty utility quad is what you want then the Vinson will fit the level of sportiness you're looking for.

Is there a reason why you're looking at the Vinson? Why don't you just get another Scrambler?

Old 03-14-2005, 01:25 PM
Pro Rider

Hey leelorr. Why don't you get another Scrambler for the WU. The Scrambler is cheaper, longer suspension travel, safer single handle braking and lighter. Four wheel drive is easier to use. Probably faster. Probably more cushy ride for the wife. Why even consider a Vinson?
BryceGTX

Old 03-14-2005, 01:39 PM
Trailblazer

why go from a polaris to a suzuki stick with polaris and get them the 400 or 500 sportsman

Old 03-14-2005, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the responses.

I guess I was thinking that I should get something different than another Scrambler, and was wondering if the Vinson was More sporty or Less sporty than a Scrambler. I would have to sell my Raptor to get something new, and I'm not sure that I'm ready for another 4wd. Then again, riding in the snow here in Colorado in the winter is a blast with 4wd. I can't decide whether to go full utility like a Sportsman or just get something like a Kawasaki V-force 700 (automatic), decisions, decisions.....

Thanks again,
Lorrin

Old 03-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of skill level do they have? If it's not much I would look at the more ute like models. Many women like the engine braking that comes with them. Low range can give them more power and control at lower speeds. The Sportsman line is very comfortable, but if they're gonna be riding it, they should get some say so.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

My bro-in-law bought a new Vinson. A nice machine, but its definately not for any serious mudding. For some reason its not a true four wheel drive, but a 3 wheel wonder. I'd think now that we are living in the 21st century all new 4x4's would at least be a true 4x4. We did a bit of mudding and he was constantly stuck. After the mudding we drove into a creek to wash off the units. He got stuck driving into the creek, got stuck once we finally pulled him into the creek and stuck trying to get out. It was a sand bottom creek with a shoreline like a lake. So it wasnt deep water we were entering. I never saw anything get stuck so easy, I wasnt too impressed with its 4 wheeling capabilities. But on dry land, its a very nice unit.

Old 03-15-2005, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider

My bro-in-law bought a new Vinson. A nice machine, but its definately not for any serious mudding. For some reason its not a true four wheel drive, but a 3 wheel wonder. I'd think now that we are living in the 21st century all new 4x4's would at least be a true 4x4. We did a bit of mudding and he was constantly stuck. After the mudding we drove into a creek to wash off the units. He got stuck driving into the creek, got stuck once we finally pulled him into the creek and stuck trying to get out. It was a sand bottom creek with a shoreline like a lake. So it wasnt deep water we were entering. I never saw anything get stuck so easy, I wasnt too impressed with its 4 wheeling capabilities. But on dry land, its a very nice unit.
I am not trying to start an argument here so please don't take me the wrong way. Making it through tough situations has a lot more factors than just the machine such as, speed (HIT IT HARD![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]), tires, weight transfer, etc. With that being said, I have been using my diff lock on my Brute Force less and less lately. There are many times that true 4wd is needed but I was suprised to find myself making it through some stuff in "unlocked" 4wd. Most guys that do serious muddin with the Vinson end up getting the Detroit gearless locker for $350. I do agree it should have a locker from the factory just like the King Quad. Maybe '06 will have that.

leelorr,
The Vinson is not as sporty as the Scrambler but it is pretty darn close...closer than the Sportsman. I would also highly recommend looking at the Brute Force 650 if you still are considering a sporty utility. MSRP is only $6599 (only $200 more than the Vinson AND it has a locker and more power) which makes it the bargain of the year. I got mine for $5999. I even heard of some people getting them even cheaper than that. You simply cannot beat that deal. However, this may be too much quad for the wife and kid.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Trailblazer

There is no other atv more sporty than a sportsman a sportsman is quick like the scrambler and can mud where a kawasaki or a suzuki cant go. i have a friend that just got a bran new suzuki 500 limitied edition and he got stuck in this mud hole and just to make fun of him i drove threw it in reverse u cant beat a sportsman, hell even grizzlys have a hard time goin where a sportsman can go.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

There is no other atv more sporty than a sportsman
I 100% disagree. I am not knocking the Sportsman but it is not as sporty as the Scrambler. Nope. It may be a better mudder but that does not have anything to do with being sporty at all. It has close to the same accelleration and even if it did out accellerate the Scrambler, that alone does not make it more sporty. Do I really need to go on? I didn't think so.

Quick Reply: Scrambler 500 vs Suzuki Vinson for trail riding?