Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

airbox mod w/stock carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2005, 10:22 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbox mod w/stock carb

I got the RcR airbox mod on a 2000 Scram 400 2x4, and was wondering if I really need the front boot on the airbox. The way it looks now, it just has the three venturi holes that go into the airbox in front. I hardly go through any water. Would this help improve performance? I saw a previous thread that said Aaen believes in not messing w/ the stock airbox due to the stock carb slide needing a certain amount of vaccuum to function right. Anyone else running more air to a stock carb? And do you get more or less power? Thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when I bought my scrambler, the previous owner had removed the air box lid so I may not be able to truly coment on the gains.

I latter copied RCR's snorkel design and cut out all the baffling in the stock air box. The butt dyno never showed a difference.

I now run a uni pod with outerwear directly clamped to the carb. Again here I didn;t notice a difference in power, the main thing I gained was the weight removal using a foam filter. The stock air box weighs about 8 pounds +- and the clamp on weighs one pound.

I have not noticed any carb slide problem on my quad. I have recently enclosed my clamp on with a home made air box on all sides but the top and have not had any negative effects there either.

My butt dyno is not as sensative as others though. It did seem to provide a gain racing against buddys but there alot of variables there.

hope this helps, If you don;t go in water I say ditch the hole box, UNI clamp ons are cheap. like $15.00

Old 03-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Range Rover

I ditched the whole airbox also on the stock carb. I used a clamp on with a pre-filter, just a K&N I believe the one that is used for the stock carbs on Banshee's. A tight fit but it worked. I do think there was a little improvement in throttle response once you get the carb tune in correctly though.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:42 AM
Pro Rider

Ditch to snorkle and then drill eight 1/4" holes in front and eight holes in rear of metal air box lid, then sixteen 1/4 " holes on right side and 16 holes on left side. This will give you a seat of the pants change. You might have to jet up a little or rise the needle.