Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Battery won't keep a charge

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 04:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery won't keep a charge

Hi all bought a new battery for my 2004 400sp last year seems like it won't hold a charge. I went out to sart it today it was dead I had a trickle charger on it but it still seems to be dead finally got it sarted but the read out for the tack and such and the speedometer will not work I just figered the battery was dead so I got it back on the charger not sure but I think maybe my charger got unpluged or something shut it off cause most of the time when I would go to sart it it would fire off and run. Does any one have any ideas for me is their a regulator that keeps the battery charged I figure their is their is a selonid looking deal by the battery is this thing gone bad someone help me out please.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Disconnect the battery from the bike and charge it overnight. If it still won't start the bike, the battery is dead, you need a new one or your battery charger is not working. If the battery will start the bike, its possible you have a current draw on the battery while the bike is shut off. If thats the case, report back and I'll point you in the direction of the components most likely to cause a current draw.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Trailblazer

try and add some tap water to the batter it may be low on water for some weird reason at some water then pull start it and let it run for awhile or go drive it that may be the problem it happend to me one time.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

My scrambler was doing similar a thing. The regulator had a wire come unplugged. Start it up and put a voltage meter on it ( at the battery) to see if it is charging or discharging while it is running. When the machine is running there should be around 13 volts. Hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks all but I just checked battery tonight have had it on the charger and its junk. Another ? for anyone this is the second battery I have bought not going to but another one of those high dollar polaris seal batterys just seems like I have no luck with them so maybe now a wally world battery or if anyone has a good battery to recomend Im all ears . And I am pretty sure the bike is charging or trying to charge the battery when it is running so any suggestions on batterys would be good. Thanks for everyones time to.

Old 03-02-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

When you got this battery, did you have to fill it with the mixture? Did you have to charge it first? One main thing is to make sure to use distilled water and not tap water due to the minerals in tap water and also the first charge you charge with the caps off....

Sealed batteries are nice.

Old 03-04-2005, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought a WestCo battery for my TrailBoss.
My first Polaris battery died one month after I bought the quad, dealer reluctantly replaced it.
The second one only lasted til the winter.
It cost me around $63 shipped, its a sealed high performance type, just like the Polaris.
So far so good!

Westcobattery.com

Old 03-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

u can go to an advance auto zone or a regular auto zone and get a new battery for about $40 and they are in stock( i ahve gotten 2 already) or u can go to rockymountainatv.com and get one for about $25 but u need to wait til it comes in and u need to pay a lot for shipping ( with the acid that comes with it). i would just take out the battery and bring it to auto zone or advance auto zone and u can get one.

Old 03-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] I have a scrambler 500 2004 and I seem to have the same problem with the dead charge of my battery. Can you please tell me were this wire was located to see if mine is disconnected as well? Also Do you know why the atv won't start without a battery?

Thanks,

James

Old 03-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: HotRod35
Thanks all but I just checked battery tonight have had it on the charger and its junk. Another ? for anyone this is the second battery I have bought not going to but another one of those high dollar polaris seal batterys just seems like I have no luck with them so maybe now a wally world battery or if anyone has a good battery to recomend Im all ears . And I am pretty sure the bike is charging or trying to charge the battery when it is running so any suggestions on batterys would be good. Thanks for everyones time to.
I have a scrambler 500 2004 and I seem to have the same problem with the dead charge of my battery. Can you please tell me were this wire was located to see if mine is disconnected as well? Also Do you know why the atv won't start without a battery?

Thanks,

James

Quick Reply: Battery won't keep a charge