Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

a few older scrambler questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default a few older scrambler questions...

I would get at the oldest a '98. I wouldn't settle for the non-H.O. ('97).

Old 03-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Elite Pro Rider

cool. thanks, ill keep that in mind when i look for one.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garrett5462
so i should get one that is newer than 97? also, if i get the chain tensioner, will the chain less likely break or what?
Yes, its a good investment at $50! And no more chain maintainance (tightening).

Old 03-19-2005, 09:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

also, do they pull good? because i will probably be pulling a lot of sport quads out of mud. because where we ride, there is alot of mud and i am the only one with a utility quad now, so that is one reason i want a sport quad. my little 250 has had to pull out blasters, 300 ex's, raptor 660,s and some dirtbike. i want the scrammy so i can still be able to pull them out of mud, and carry stuff on the racks. sometimes we go camping and we usually bring a lot of food when we go riding. but then again, i can also have fun at the pits and donw the road cuz i can keep up with them.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:19 PM
Range Rover

The '97 has the least power. In '98 they made the most changes. They went to the Conecentric Drive which has less rear chain problems, changed to front drive shaft. This is also when they come out with the HO model, which has a substantial difference in power. In '99 they updated all the switches & wiring. In 2000 I beleive is when they went to newer tie-rod ends which were a little less troublesome. I don't think it was until '01 they went to longer travel with dual rate rear springs.

Basically, get the newest you can afford. They're all pretty similar and have never been fully redesigned, but every year they get *a little* better. With the exception of the power difference in the '98+ models, they all seem to handle and perform about the same to me.

Old 03-19-2005, 04:30 PM
Elite Pro Rider

cool, thanks.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

a couple more questions. what kind of a control panel does a 98-99 scrammy have? neutrla, reverse, high temp and belt? what does it have? also, how often do u have to deal with belts? do they stratch/wear fast? and, is the dirt devil a good tire for the scrammy? does anyone have any suggestions? and , i was planning on getting a fmf megamaxII pipe, for it( when i get one) does anyone have it? is it loud? add power?

Old 03-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

can anyone answer at least one question?

Old 03-22-2005, 10:48 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: garrett5462
a couple more questions. what kind of a control panel does a 98-99 scrammy have? neutrla, reverse, high temp and belt? what does it have? also, how often do u have to deal with belts? do they stratch/wear fast? and, is the dirt devil a good tire for the scrammy? does anyone have any suggestions? and , i was planning on getting a fmf megamaxII pipe, for it( when i get one) does anyone have it? is it loud? add power?
Not sure on the dash on those yrs but on the belt mine is the original belt and is 3yrs old and still measures like a new one.Tires? Dirt Devils are as good as any. Pipe? The FMF isnt as loud as the WB but I have heard of them shaking apart but thats was on here and a long time ago.Either one FMF or White Bros is good which ever you can find the best deal on.Neither will give you much more power but it will help.You find the power in the clutching.Hope this helps Brad

Old 03-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Range Rover

The control panel just shows nuetral/reverse/overheat on any year model.

I doubt you will feel much difference on just a pipe regardless of brand. It's personal preferance I guess, but I think the Polaris concentrated companies like AAEN, HPD, and Hot Seat get better results on parts because they concentrate on builing a part for the specific machine, not just making a generic pipe physically fit. That being said, most of major exhaust companies (FMF, WB, etc) seem to have a more attractive looking exhaust. If you get a pipe though, to get the most out of it you need to rejet and get a clutch kit designed to match the other components you've changed.

Quick Reply: a few older scrambler questions...