Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winches revisited

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winches revisited

O.K. for those that have put a cheap winch on what did you do for a switch? I bought the cheap Harbor Freight 2000# winch (have it mounted up), but I havn't figured out what I'm gonna do for a switch. All the relay boxes I've found on the internet are going to be more then the $45 I paid for the winch. The manual remote that comes with it is way to big to be mounted anywhere and I havn't found anywhere suitable to mount that switch without the remote. You guys got any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-22-2005, 11:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the 2000lb winch also. I have a self centering toggle switch that I bought from lowes for around $8.00. You can look at my pics I have it mounted on the pod. I do not have the part number. It was in the section that had misc. toggle switches. They called it a heavy duty winch switch.

Old 03-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Also if you find a switch I can tell you how to wire it using the same wires that came with the winch.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
Also if you find a switch I can tell you how to wire it using the same wires that came with the winch.
So, this switch can be used with no solenoid?

Old 03-23-2005, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: DirtFarmer
O.K. for those that have put a cheap winch on what did you do for a switch? I bought the cheap Harbor Freight 2000# winch (have it mounted up), but I havn't figured out what I'm gonna do for a switch. All the relay boxes I've found on the internet are going to be more then the $45 I paid for the winch. The manual remote that comes with it is way to big to be mounted anywhere and I havn't found anywhere suitable to mount that switch without the remote. You guys got any ideas?

Thanks, Jeff
you can go to Home Depot also, they have a section in one of the mail isles that is sort of a winch section. try home depot online also, maybe it'll show something.

Old 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm not finding the switch at homedepot.com all I can find are wall switches, and the nearest Home Depot is 45 min away. I do have a Lowes not to far away maybe I'll look there. I stopped at Radio shack and TSC earlier today and didn't find anything there. Anyother Ideas?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 03-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

i put a switch on my quad for my winch that is on the back of my trailboss.you have to go to a auto store like napa and get a cole herse dpdt switch.part# 55054 with a water proof boot for it and you can hook up your winch that way because it will always go back to the centre. you do not need a solenoid, you can use a sercuit breaker instead.when you hook it up you can use the wires that come with the winch. if you want to know how to wire it let me know

Old 03-26-2005, 02:43 AM
Trailblazer

Well, I picked up the switch at Lowes today, this one is a Gardner Bender GSW-123, its DPDT momentary on-off-momentary on. It's rated pretty low (20 amps @ 125 Volt AC) but I'll see how it works. Also got a switch to finaly do the 3 headlight mod and the rubber toggle covers for both. I think I'll pick up some liquid electical tape to seal the under side.

How long have you guys using these switches winched for constantly? and how long have you been using them?

I assume your wireing them up with the winch in the center, feed to one side, and cross feeding (switching polarity) the other side? Or run the feed to the middle and and winch to both outside terminals but crossed on one side? I guess the latter might be better.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know how it goes -Jeff

In edit I forgot to add, I was at the dealership today (got the cold start update done on mine now also) and he gave me a used solinoid for a safety shutoff that I'm gonna put on so the winch will only be hot when the keys on.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

Wheres a good place to get switched power for the safty relay? I didn't see anywhere real easy to tap into under the pod or hood I was thinking about using the tailight power but I don't want to cut wires.

I got the rest of it wired up and wires run, I still need to power the relay and drill a hole for the switch. I did test it though, it slid the front tires and pulled the back end clear off the ground. And FYI don't pull hard on the winch with the front rack off, I pulled the top metal piece forward 1/2", I hope to bend it back tomorrow when I finish up.

Thanks for everyones help, Jeff

Old 03-29-2005, 02:39 AM
Quad Patrol

I'm looking to mount a switch for my winch also[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I went to our local Lowes, but didn't find the switch[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Dirtfarmer, thanks for posting the numbers[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I'll go back and see what I can find.

Quick Reply: Winches revisited