Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

what can you tell me about pred climbing abilities?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 03:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what can you tell me about pred climbing abilities?

ok i was just clarifying, but also i have an 03 and between them and the 05 are the gear ratio and the reverse... so i know they work identical, they will perform great and as well i have a digi camcorder ill try and get some video of it at the dunes in pismo this weekend...

Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Range Rover

I thought the yfz suspension was softer on the rough ground, but it could have been difference in settings. The raptor I rode was the same way, but at the time, my '03 was due for rebuild on shocks, so it felt alot better, but probably not as good as the piggyback shocks. Haven't thought anything else I've ridden has had as good a suspension as the pred.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:58 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

My pred would climb just about anything......but I will not. But now I have a +3 swingarm on it. I did some hill climbing the other day....which I don't do a hole alot of. I did not have a problem with anything that I climbed. I have seen alot of people that could not make it and half to jump off, and watch there quad crash to the bottom. You will not find better suspension unless you buy after market.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider

The Predator climbs very well. BUT I can tell you that if you start from a dead stop on the bottom of a steep hill / dune, mod for mod a YFZ will be faster up the hill. The hills I'm talking about are big and steep, 250+ feet high. People out west could vouch for these monsters - like the Cinders, china wall, or Patton Valley. I'm sure choke cherry falls in that category, but I have not been there to comment. If you're worried about it getting up hills, that won't be a problem, but if you are talking about hillshooting BIG, STEEP, hills and dunes, the lighter 450's are going to generally win.

Old 03-24-2005, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for all the information, thats exactly the stuff i am talking about. Raj, do you think your pred really needed that extnsion of the swingarm. The pred i took for a spin seemed very very stable already because it had a good stanse stock.

Any more info welcome!

Old 03-24-2005, 09:13 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

[quote]
[i]Originally posted by: [b]sparkster. Raj, do you think your pred really needed that extnsion of the swingarm.

No it did not need it.....I did. I do alot of drag racing, and it was hard to keep the front end down 1-3 gear. I don't ride wheelies, because I really don't know how to do it. So now when I line them up....All I can say is HOLE SHOT! This is where the race is won and losted.

I don't know why my reply is in bold print![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2005, 09:48 PM
Trailblazer

my 03 climbs just about anything with no problems. the suspension was a little rough at first but after loosening up the springs it seems a lot better. would love to try a set of elka's but cant afford them right now. any one try them? are they really worth the money?

Old 03-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Trailblazer

well i just got my preddy less than a week ago, but the bit of ridin i been doin has been in snow, & now realize reverse is ESENTIAL for tight riding & trail blazing w/o driving urself nuts. the suspension even on my STD w/o ressies is outstanding & i've hit some descent pot holes/ mediocre jumps & they soak it righ up, & for climbing hill i have some 20' snow banks behind my house & w/ a lil navigation & planning, the preddy goes right up & over, it does & has had my vote for best all around sport quad since day 1. that's why i bit the big one & bought a brand spankin new one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] , good luck in your descision, you won't be sorry

Old 03-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

listen, u have a YFZ, widen that alittle, abd theyre u go, a predator![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-24-2005, 11:28 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider

He's trying to help a guy decide what quad to get.

Quick Reply: what can you tell me about pred climbing abilities?