Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Installing a Winch

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 07:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a Winch

Can anyone tell me how hard it is to install a 2500# Warn winch on a 2004 Sportsman 400.
My local Polaris dealer wants $600.00 for the winch and installation, is this a fair price?
Thanks

Old 03-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Pro Rider

Thats pretty high priced for the winch and install. My local dealer charges $75 for the install, I think thats if you bought the machine from him. Considering the going price for the 2500 pound winch is around $350, your dealer is pretty high.

Its not that big of deal for the install. One extra expense you will have is for the winch mount plate. Which is usually around $45.

You will have to mount the winch, mount a solenoid and mount the handlebar switch. If so equipped, you can also mount a remote setup like I have on my 3000 pound winch.

The instructions are pretty clear. Its just routing some cables and making the power and ground connections, etc. Give it a shot, its not that big of deal. One thing you will know is exactly how the winch is connected in case you run in to any problems later.....that way you will know where to look.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks elkbow,
I thought it was high to but I had never priced an atv winch before. I did buy the atv from him also.
He wanted $434 for the winch and $150 to install.
Where is the best place to get a winch?

Old 03-24-2005, 09:02 PM

Hi Mudbugger,

I installed a Ramsey ATV3000 lb winch on my 2004 Sportsman 400 a couple of months ago. The winch pricing from the dealers is a exorbitant. My dealer quoted me similar pricing to what you got. I went on EBay and got the 3000lb Ramsey with the handlebar rocker switch for $315.00 free shipping from ATV Tires Plus. They have a bunch of them now for the same $315.00 free shipping. Look for item # 4536379749. If you pull up a search on EBay for "ATV winch" you will get about 350 results. If you want to go with a 2500lb winch you'll be able to get one in the $275.00 range. (I'm talking Ramsey and Warn.......there are a whole bunch of cheaper ones but I wanted one that I knew was specifically designed for an ATV and I would not have "issues" with to install). Also, I got the Ramsey with rocker switch only......they also have a wireless remote unit for more $$$ but it is also a substantially more involved installation. I wanted to keep it simple and have a straight forward install. The Ramsey winch comes brand new in it's box with manufacturers limited lifetime warrantee. It comes with all the wiring, instructions, rocker switch, contactor and roller fairlead.

I also got my winch mount on EBay. I got the super nice single piece mount manufactured by KFI. The price was $38.00 plus shipping which I think was $10.00. I am really glad I went with this mount as it's easier to install, excellent quality, and allows wide open sight of the cable and barrel while operating it. In other words........you can see real good what you're doing instead of having a mounting plate obscuring your view like with the other design. Look for item # 4537522427.

The other thing I did that I'm very happy with is that I mounted the contactor up front on the structural member right under the plastic front "hood" piece. You will see it when you go to install your winch. This location is perfect because it's out of harms way and about as dry a place as you can get.......worked out super.

Other than that...the job is very straight forward and I think anybody with reasonable skills could install it. I had no problems. It's about on a par with installing car stereo system. You shouldn't be worried because it's really straight forward.......but it will take a few hours.

I have used my winch now quite a bit because we've been riding in the snow (drifts can be a problem ;-)). My buddies and I have been pulling each other out of drifts quite a bit and this winch is really a pleasure to use.

I'm very happy with the way I did the whole thing and how it came out. Finished installed cost was $363.00.

Good Luck, Bob

Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 PM
Pro Rider

hey Mudbugger. you can go to www.lesteratv.com and get a 2500lb. Ramsey winch for $279 on the site or visit the site and then on the left they have a link to their ebay store where you can get it for $256. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Ramsey winches have a limited lifetime warranty and draw less amperage/current than the warn winches. I currently have a warn 2.5 and am going to take it off and replace it with the Ramsey winch this summer.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I got a 2500 warn winch for my 04 sportsman 600 on e-bay from breese lawn and garden. It came with the mounting bracket and handlerbar rocker switch and it was right around $300.00 Installed it my self (came with detailed instructions ) in less than 1 hour. Have used it a few times to pull myself out of the mud and pull others out and it worked great. Hope this helps you..

Old 03-24-2005, 10:17 PM

silverbullet2005..........thanks for the reminder. I forgot it does have the limited lifetime warrantee. I just edited my post to correct that. I know that it applies to the 3000lb unit.....not sure on the 2500lb unit. Also, your comment on the lesser amperage draw is right on. This is primary reason I went for the Ramsey. These things draw huge amperage and the way I figure it.......this is important and lesser is definately better.

Bob

Old 03-24-2005, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Mudbugger
Thanks elkbow,
I thought it was high to but I had never priced an atv winch before. I did buy the atv from him also.
He wanted $434 for the winch and $150 to install.
Where is the best place to get a winch?

I highly recommend this place to get winch's

Updated link. Check out the first two winch's on the list. EXCELLENT PRICE

They have both the 2500 and 3500 series. The 2500 comes with a roller it appears.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Georgia your link doesn't work. try again please, I am interested in seeing.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the information. Think I am going to try to install it myself. Will be going with the 2500# Ramsey.

Here is the link GeorgiaB11 posted maybe it will work.

http://www.therangerstation.com/prod...arkerwinch.htm

Quick Reply: Installing a Winch