Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Storage area on 05 Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 08:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Storage area on 05 Sportsman

Hey all I have a question has anybody been able to seal thier storage areas on a 05 sportsman. I know there is the rubber plug in the bottom and I believe that is where the water is coming through so any ideas are helpful

Old 04-04-2005, 08:30 PM

My buddy has a 2005 Sportsman 600. His front storage area gets wet when we hit water.....which is every time we ride. We think it's obvious on his that the water gets in from the access door in the middle bottom that allows access to the radiator cap. It is unsealed and fits poorly.....in fact it pops off fairly often. I think Polaris will correct this obvious flaw on 2006 models.

BTW......he also gets water in the rear storage compartment......but I'm not sure where that comes from.

My opinion is that these new storage compartments are a great addition to the new Sportsmans. But Polaris has GOT to correct them to make them water tight.

Bob

Old 04-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i know how you can fix the leak..... stop driving in such DEEP WATER!

LOL!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-04-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

I noticed my front rack or "front storage lid" is warped on the rear corners, and sticks up high... the lid doesn't touch the sealing gasket.
I havn't ridden mine in any deep water yet, but so far both front and rear have stayed dry even at the car wash... but only have about
55 miles on her so....

Old 04-04-2005, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

My sportsman has warped corners and both front and back leak like crazy. Some guy (minegequad or something close to that) on here siliconed all his seals prior to his first ride and has had no problems.

You guys have any problems with low beams leaking?

05 sportsman 800efi
k&n filter
hand guards
three light kit stock (no after market) hmmm!

Old 04-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Trailblazer

JASON 4202_____..Yeah that would be me..

MTPOCKETS_____.. THAT WOULD BE NO FUN NOW WOULD IT....

The rear one does not leak through the PLUG in the bottom it is the only thing that keeps water IN or out.....

The rear one in two halfs that go toghter, and that my friend is wear the water gets in..

I striped my bike down and fixed this problem I dipped it in any deep creeks, etc.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

I take thatbback...I checked the rear storage compartment tonight and [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]... everything is all wet! I think it is leaking in from the rar cover
or door. Everywhere else on the rear compartment is air tight. I will put babypowder on the rear door seal, close the door and try to see where the seal isn't making contact. My dealer said to bring it in and he will replace the front storage lid, but he has to see it first.

Old 04-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

LOL seanny!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

Here is the permanent fix for water leaking into the rear storage compartment! I can't believe polaris would put it togather this way, but the rear storage compartment on '05 spotspans is a two piece design. The upper half fits into a groove in the lower half. Bad thing about it is how loose it fits in the groove, and it has no groove at all allong the back where it goes vertical to the top. No gasket or anything in there, and I could see light all around the back corners! I removed the rear fendors while I had the rear rack off anyway
(I'm replacing the rack extendor with the red one), then the top half of the rear storage compartment just pops off. I applied Black
RTV silicone to the groove on the bottom half, reinstalled the top cover, and evenly applied more RTV along the seam on the inside and outside edges. I hope I never have to remove it again, 'cause it won't be easy! Oh yeah, if anyone is looking for a like new black
crinkle painted rear rack extendor-I have one I'll part with cheap! Dan.

Old 04-10-2005, 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about my front storage area yet. My dealer was reluctant to order a new lid for it. I also noticed almost all of the new sportsmans ther were the same way! The rear corners are high. I did install the front rack extendor today, and it seems to push the corners back down a little. I think it is sealling now, but I will look into adjusting the latches or lid a little bit more.

Quick Reply: Storage area on 05 Sportsman