Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Magnum 425 ignition issue's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 10:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum 425 ignition issue's?

Looking for a little insight on the Magnum 425 ignition.I recently have been experiencing problems while the quad is running.It seems like the thing is hitting a limiter or something and just loses power.It does it occasionally and not at speed.You can be cruising at 10mph and all the sudden the power goes in half.Sometimes it just correct's itself and sometimes it doesn't.I noticed a few times that when I turn the key off,it just keeps going.I turn the on/off switch off and it keeps going!I took it to Parker Yamaha and of course I couldn't get it to duplicate my issue's.They tuned it up and it didn't cure the ill's.I'm thinking it has something to do with the ignition.Any inputs would be appreciated.

Old 04-07-2005, 07:41 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find the rev limiter box and follow the black wire to the wireing block and unplug it.this should take care of your problem but you wont have a reverse limiter except to use 4x4 in reverse.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

When I hold the over ride button,it should do the same thing,yes?It doesn't work holding the over ride button.Also,why would that have anything to do with it still running when I shut the key off?

Old 04-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Hard to explain what all is effected by the limiter.Just try unplugging the black wire and see if that works.If it does it is a cheap fix if not we will go from there

Old 01-02-2006, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, it has been quite a while since I posted this but the problem is full fledged now. I can get the thing to start but just giving it a little gas the thing just starts spitting and backfiring all the time now. The ignition problem still is there but I'm thinking the coil or CDI(if it has one) is going. I'm a jetski engine guy so this(4 stroke) is foreign to me. I took the electronics shroud off this weekend and it is just a maze of wires. Any thoughts before taking it back to the Parker Yamaha?

Old 01-02-2006, 08:26 PM
Quad Patrol

Sounds more like a cam issue now.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

They supposedly adjusted it when they tuned it up. It has less than 5 hrs. on it since they did it? And as I said, it still sometimes is possessed. I shut the key off and the on/off switch to off and it just keeps going??

Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

How much is a new ignition switch?
If it doesnt shut off when you turn the key , what else could it be?
Thats what i would blame it on.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

The problem is neither the ignition switch or the on/off switch will shut it off at times. So which one is it? Maybe it isn't either, I don't know.

Old 01-02-2006, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

is it dieseling or actually running?

Quick Reply: Magnum 425 ignition issue's?