Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 Ride Quality

what??????? A Ricon rides better than a SP800 in any way??? I have put a few miles on the Rincon & my biggest complaint of all was how unstable the thing feels, the tippy feel it has when you turn sharp at low speeds is horrible!!! I have a bad back so the 800 was far & away the best ride at all speeds, period. The Rincon looks good, has a great drive train, Did wheelies with ease, thats all that I could find to like about it. Wow I have heard some silly 4 wheeler stuff before but that shoots to the top of the list! I purchased the SP800 & I don't give a rats butt about Polaris, I just bought the quad that I feel fits my needs the best, such as ride, power, mudding, storage, & tires. On a side note, I live in central Wiscosin & we have 2 clubs here with 280 members & Polaris owners SP500-800 & Yamaha 660Grizz owners take home most all the hardware for mud racing around here.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

Hey kj2053,

Ok, now that's just about the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Honestly, I don't believe you ever rode a Rincon, and if you did, you're clearly lying. Here's what ATV News had to say, and keep in mind, they killed this machine in it's review. They just did not have the audacity to say it handled bad.

"There have been some star performers in this category throughout the years. Honda’s Rincon has always handled well. Its suspension settings, and moreover its steering, have always felt spot-on for a wide range of riders and trial conditions. We even go as far to say the Rincon could be one of the best-handling machines we’ve ever tested. But it is, in a word, boring! Nothing interesting happens, you just get on it and go. You turn the handlebars and it turns like you want it to turn — it follows a good arc in the corners. That is the kind of boredom we can enjoy."

They actually called it "boring" because it handled TOO well. Can you believe that??? Youy said it was tippy?? You're either lying or are clueless.

See for yourself: 4x4 Shootout

Oh, yeah, this is not an isolated incident. EVERY review said that about the Rincon. EVERY ONE!!!

You can repeat all of the negative points they outlined in the article, make up your own, or jump on the bandwagon and knock anything you don't currently own, but please, don't even try and convince anyone that the Honda doesn't handle better than the rest. Possibly the "best-handling machine" ever tested.

Again, I love my 800, but I also love my Rincon. Why do I find myself saying that over and over? I just see some shortcomings, and I want them fixed. Same happened when I got the Rincon. Saw some short comings and fixed them. THIS IS WHY I CAME TO THIS FORUM. I didn't know it was a bunch of "mine is better than yours" children. You can't all think that the machine you own is "perfect", or just that much better than the rest. What are we, 5???

Thanks for nothing!

Old 04-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

I am so frustrated right now I feel like throwing my computer out the f%@$ing window. I come here for help and ask some honest questions and all I get in return is told how stupid I am for thinking one way as opposed to another. There have only been a couple that actually helped, and that's out of the lot of you. I paid to support this Sh@#hole forum and donated money to be a part of something I thought would be helpful and to become an integral part of a free exchange of ideas. All I got was closedminded bulls*#t from some people that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground.

Edit: There are a few exceptions, and I'm sure you know who you are. My thanks extended exclusively to those people.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

Originally posted by: ImperiumDon
I am so frustrated right now I feel like throwing my computer out the f%@$ing window. I come here for help and ask some honest questions and all I get in return is told how stupid I am for thinking one way as opposed to another. There have only been a couple that actually helped, and that's out of the lot of you. I paid to support this Sh@#hole forum and donated money to be a part of something I thought would be helpful and to become an integral part of a free exchange of ideas. All I got was closedminded bulls*#t from some people that don't know their *** from a hole in the ground.

Edit: There are a few exceptions, and I'm sure you know who you are. My thanks extended exclusively to those people.

Just throw your computer out a window and get it over with. You only asked one question: How to make a SP800 handle like, or exactly like a Rincon. The one person here that actually has ridden both machines gave his opinion and you called him clueless or a liar. You expect anyone to help you after that?

While I have never ridden a Rincon and cannot comment on those, I cannot understand how you have your rear shocks cranked up all the way on the SP800 and still think it's too soft?? How much do you weigh? I have extensively ridden a SP500, 600, 700, 800 and the bottom position is usually fine for one rider. I have my rears bumped up 1 notch on my 600 because I frequently give the wife and kid a ride. When I'm solo it's pretty stiff, and I weigh almost 200lbs! Cranked all the way up and still too soft???? That doesn't sound right. I do think the front is pretty soft, but it can easily be corrected. You could do a simple google search and find everthing from spacers to adjustable springs for the front struts if it really bothers you.

Sounds to me like you need to sell your 800, because I don't think you will ever be happy with it. There will be plenty of buyers for it.

Old 04-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

Originally posted by: ATVtech1
I'll respond to this by first saying that the Honda is renowned for it's superb ride. Anything you read on these machines is indicative of this, and if even ONE of you ACTUALLY rode one, you would know this already. You can lie to yourself and say otherwise all you want, but facts are facts.

I am completely let down by the closed mindedness of some of the people on this site. It has me questioning whether I want to come back here and ask honest questions. You compare the ride of the Rincon to that of a Pinto??? WTF? I specifically asked for the opinions of those that actually rode a Rincon. Plain and simple, the Rincon rides better, is more stable, and is JUST PLAIN BETTER. Now you can either accept that or lie to yourself and those Polaris fans with no sense of reality, but please, if you're going to try and lie to me, might I remind you that I HAVE THEM BOTH!!

You know, everyone here uses their machines differently, and moreover, we all have different tastes. I'm sick of having to say "now, I love the Polaris" and "don't get me wrong" before I ask an honest question that might throw into question the quality of any aspect of a given machine. Why the f*%k do you think I traded the 700 on the $8000+ 800?? Because I didn't like the machine?

If there is actually anyone out there that really rode a Rincon (or even read anything about it in any magazine or review) and would like to provide me with the assistance I come here for, well, let's just say that your comments are more than welcome among this "mine is better then yours" bulls@#t. My gratitude for that as well.
Well said. I hope you don't leave the forum, as you are one of the few who give honest, unbiased reviews.

I haven't personally ridden a SP800 other than in the parking lot, but I have talked to a few who have ridden both. Here is the deal. The Rincon's suspension is just better overall. It is exceptionally well tuned and is very stable. Remember that the Rincon was purpose built by Honda to be a trail bike, and this is where they concentrated their efforts. They wanted people to ride this machine and feel comfortable doing it. The engineering on the Rincon suspension is very impressive. With the aluminum A-arms and knuckles, the unsprung weight is very low. The angle of the shocks also plays a big part in how the suspension works.

The Polaris is very comfortable to ride, but lacks the overall "feel" of the Rincon. It seems Polaris concentrated their efforts on making the SP800 the ultimate off-road machine while supplying a plush ride at slow speeds. At higher speeds, the Sportsman really shows its weaknesses and the machine simply is not designed to ride or handle as well as the Rincon. That's just the way it is.

Maybe a set of aftermarket shocks is the answer. But while the Rincon can never be modified to equal the Sportsman in the off-road department, the Sportsman can never equal the Rincon in the ride & handling department, no matter what you do to it.
You sure seem to know alot about how a Sportsman rides for never have ridden one other than in a parking lot.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:33 AM
2c3
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

look imperiumdon, you can knock anything on the polaris you want but the ride and handling. the rincon may ride and handle great i dont know cause ive never riden one. but i myself could not ask for a atv to ride or handle any better than mine. i think this is where we have a problem with what you are saying because the ride is what the new polaris models are known for. maybe instead of some new shocks you should have someone put the 800 polaris engine in your rincon and then you would have the ride and the power you want. you can please some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all the time. and by the way before you throw your computer out the window lay down on the floor and kick your feet a little to. temper temper temper no cussing are your going to get in trouble.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:47 AM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

Well Imp,

You called me a liar.....So here you go, call Laurie at Vetesnik Power Sports & ask her about the extended ride I took on the Rincon . The # is 1-800-752-2556 or Glenn at Country Sports 1-715325-5381...I actually rode 2 of them!! Then if your man enough come back on the forum and give me and the rest of the folks a full apology. Also, I'm 41 and mabe I will **** Polaris people off because I'm not brand loyal.....Oh well, I love the SP800 but It was very close between me getting it or the kawisaki Brute Force (I rode the hell out of that machine too.. want a #) or the 660 Grizz, which my friend & nephew own & I ride often. I don't care if Jeff Gordon tells me the Rincon isn't tippy.......I rode the thing & it's tippy!!!

Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 800 Ride Quality

If you want a more stable ride then you can go with heavy duty. The springs are what is going to keep it more level on take off and around corners. The struts just take the shock of the bumps and keeps it from bouncing.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

Hey ImperiumDon,

First off, welcome to the forums. Secondly, you will find that the majority of the people on this forum are very helpful. I have a 2001 Xplorer 400 4x4 and this is my first quad that I've bought and everyone on here that's answered my questions have helped tremendously. I've also gotten a lot of knowledge from reading other posts. I've found that the Polaris folks on this forum don't want to brand bash and don't like other people brand bashing; as long as you're riding, it doesn't matter what you ride. Just have fun and ride safe.

Now, as far as your original post, I can honestly say I've never ridden a Rincon or for that matter a Sportsman. But, the suspension on the front of my quad tends to be soft. I purchased rubber spring spacers from Polaris that did the trick for what I needed. Another option for you would be as 2manytoys said to purchase heavy duty springs either from Polaris or a 3rd party. Or, Silverbullet2005 on this forum has made springs spacers for his SP 700 efi to help with front end sagging. You may want to consider tracking him down on this forum and ask him about the spacers he uses. It sounds like they should stiffen up the suspension and help with the sagging. I know he does make them himself and sells them for a reasonable price. My $.02.

Just trying to help, not bash or insult.

Old 04-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 800 Ride Quality

From what I have read I dont think anyone here is brand bashing. The Rincon is a very nice atv. It has alot of things that I would like to see on the Polaris but 99.9 percent of Polaris riders prefere the soft ride of the cadillac as to the stiffer more nimble ride of the lexus. There is nothing wrong with the Rincon at all. It is a very nice machine. Just 2 different rides.

Quick Reply: 800 Ride Quality