Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 Ride Quality

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 Ride Quality

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
From what I have read I dont think anyone here is brand bashing.
I don't think so either, I was just trying to make a point that the people on this forum are good folks, that's all.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

the stock setting on the rear shocks for me were too soft. when plowing, starting off, the rear would squat and the blade would rise just a little if there wasn't a conciderable ammount of play in the cable. to correct this i clicked-up the rear TWO notches and it reduced the squat.

if i cranked-up the rear all the way, it would ride like a BRICK! no thanks! to say the rear is too soft at the highest setting makes me seriously question if ImperiumDon actually owns a Sportsman. are you sure this guy isn't "Pastor" under a different user name? he writes just like him.

-MT

Old 04-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Range Rover
Default 800 Ride Quality

You sure seem to know alot about how a Sportsman rides for never have ridden one other than in a parking lot.
I work at a dealer that sells Honda and Polaris. Do you expect me to take a brand new ATV and go out and ride it full tilt on the trails? Would you buy a "new" ATV that had been treated that way? The point was that I have spoken to people who have ridden both machines extensively, and this was the general concensus. Take it or leave it...

Old 04-08-2005, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

I think I can understand what ImperiumDon is talking about. When I ride my Xplorers, it is fun. On FLAT trails, they feel very stable (SRA) and sliding, cornering, accelerating, and braking all was very stable. On the Sportsman, on flat ground, while riding it leans and tilts and shifts and whatever. I think the biggest thing here is that the Sportsman weighs so much compared to other quads. I think that it would be difficult to get it to ride stiff and "level" because it is just so heavy. It would be like trying to get a Suburban to ride like a car, it sways and tilts, it doesn't stick to the road like a sedan. The sportsman was not designed with a car-like ride, it was designed with a boat-like ride.

Stiffer springs should improve your ride. I've never seen one, but maybe some type of stronger swaybar would help the cornering. That wouldnt help the back squatting, though.

It is very difficult to completely alter the ride of a vehicle, especially when you have very limited aftermarket suspensions like with a fourwheeler.

Old 04-08-2005, 09:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

from what imp has said in his last few posts, i think hes full of ****, needs to get a life, leave this forum and take back the 800 that he probely dosnt own. and since your into riding a suspentionless quad, go buy a sport ATV, buy some elka shocks, and crank them all the way up, im sure you'll enjoy that experince a$$hole

Old 04-08-2005, 11:33 PM
Range Rover
Default 800 Ride Quality

Originally posted by: spyder6
from what imp has said in his last few posts, i think hes full of ****, needs to get a life, leave this forum and take back the 800 that he probely dosnt own. and since your into riding a suspentionless quad, go buy a sport ATV, buy some elka shocks, and crank them all the way up, im sure you'll enjoy that experince a$$hole
You deserve to be banned for making such an offensive post. Period.

I cannot believe immature people such as yourself are even allowed to operate ATV's. No wonder the sport of ATV'ing gets such a bad rap. I thought the Highlifter forum was bad, but this is just sad...

Old 04-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

Many of you have brought up good points. That was a great analogy tyler711 used with the suburban. One point like he said is the weight difference between the Sp and its competitors. The dry weight of the Rincon is 600lbs, while the polaris tips the scales at a whopping 765lbs. That is a tremendous difference between two atvs. It would be nearly impossible to get the 800 to handle like the rincon. Think about the frame flex of these two rigs too. Polaris said clear back when they made the first sp, the SP500, that it had a lot of frame flex because of its weight. If it didn't have a lot of flex it would collapse under its own weight. It is good to have some frame flex. Ride what you like and none of this is a problem.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer
Default 800 Ride Quality

I am a Rincon rider, I come to this forum because the 800 is a quad I find very interesting. The group I ride with has Rincons, Polaris 800s, 700s, 500s , BF and KQs. We ride all kinds of terrian in the small rocky mountains of Arkansas. They all go everywhere we ride. The Rincons can play in some mud but not like the others. I have ridden the one 800 in the group and was very impressed with it's plush ride, and it is about the only bike I would consider other than my Rincon.

As to some of the comments on here, Yes with stock tires I agree the Rincon is a little tippy. The soft 2ply radials give a pleasant ride but don't work well for pushing the Rincon hard. The front tires sidewalls flex and you get a significant push and lean in the corners. BigHorn radials solved those problems.

I do think that for fast riding on narrow twisting trails the weight of the 800 is a factor. In these conditions the Rincons in our group seem to have the edge in our group with the KQ right in there. For high speed rough or smooth in anything other than a straight line I think the Rincon is a great choice.

If I was riding boulders fields and had steep climbs and descents every ride I would chose the 800. The Rincon makes it through these spots but with more effort and dragging of the skid plates.

Either one is a wonderful quad that will make its owner happy for many years and go about anywhere.
Different ride qualities, but both are good for their intended purpose. I wish I could own both.

Here are some pictures of one of our riding areas. Shows the 800 in some rocks that the Rincon followed through:
http://community.webshots.com/album/314869727TujRlt

Old 04-09-2005, 11:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default 800 Ride Quality

parkgt
thank-you for an HONEST review of the Rincon.................and the EXCELLENT pics!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default 800 Ride Quality

Good post Parkgt,

Now thats what the forums are about.

Quick Reply: 800 Ride Quality