Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking to Buy a Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy a Polaris

Hi everyone, I have silently been reading these forums, looking for a new quad to purchase. It seems that the reliablity and quality has greatly improved over the last few years. Because I have never owned a Polaris (have ridden an Sportmans 500 RSE and loved it.)

My questions concern their tranning and AWD systems. How realiable are they, questions/comments.

How does the locking front differential work, could I possibly over stress it in any way and break something, ex. try to tow something heavy and the rear wheels spin, and its too heavy for the quad.

How does the tranny in the Polaris compare to the Honda Rubicon?

Please no bashing, I already know they are all quality machines, I'm just trying to sort out the differences.

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-08-2005, 09:17 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i think that the front defferential is alwyas locked when ur in awd.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: garrett5462
The awd only engages when the rear wheels spin 1 1/2 times the speed of the fronts, then the awd will engage. Just because you have the machine in awd doesn't mean it is locked in awd/4x4. some guys/gals may not like this feature but I for one like it because you don't have to worry about leaving it in 4x4 or not, it will only engage when needed/sensors tell the rig that the rear tires are spinning faster than the fronts.

The Honda Rubicon was one of the atv's I was originally looking at when I was shopping and there was more than one feature I wasn't impressed with which made me not want it. 1) the IRS did not return to it's full up position when compressed by just putting my weight on it, this told me that the rear shocks/springs weren't as heavy duty as the polaris sportsman series. 2) I for one was not impressed with the torque convertor style trans compared to the automatic belt style polaris utilizes, I figured that the Honda tranny just had to many parts that could possibly break down. less is better right? at the time I was looking the Rubicon's price tag was like $9,500 and my sportsman 700EFI was $7,250 out the door plus $11 title fee. I recommend the Polaris sportsman series atv's not only because that's what I own but because I did alot of research when I was shopping and rode a few different models and just plain liked the polaris sportsman better than I did the Rubicon and the Grizzly.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:33 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys for your responses, my problem is because of school and work, I simply dont have the time to go dealer hopping and looking at all the different models. Im glad there is such knowledgeable people on these forums.

Any other suggestions/ comments?

Thanks again, Bill

Old 04-08-2005, 10:36 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: silverbullet2005
Originally posted by: garrett5462
The awd only engages when the rear wheels spin 1 1/2 times the speed of the fronts, then the awd will engage. Just because you have the machine in awd doesn't mean it is locked in awd/4x4. some guys/gals may not like this feature but I for one like it because you don't have to worry about leaving it in 4x4 or not, it will only engage when needed/sensors tell the rig that the rear tires are spinning faster than the fronts.

The Honda Rubicon was one of the atv's I was originally looking at when I was shopping and there was more than one feature I wasn't impressed with which made me not want it. 1) the IRS did not return to it's full up position when compressed by just putting my weight on it, this told me that the rear shocks/springs weren't as heavy duty as the polaris sportsman series. 2) I for one was not impressed with the torque convertor style trans compared to the automatic belt style polaris utilizes, I figured that the Honda tranny just had to many parts that could possibly break down. less is better right? at the time I was looking the Rubicon's price tag was like $9,500 and my sportsman 700EFI was $7,250 out the door plus $11 title fee. I recommend the Polaris sportsman series atv's not only because that's what I own but because I did alot of research when I was shopping and rode a few different models and just plain liked the polaris sportsman better than I did the Rubicon and the Grizzly.

does the 500 scrmbler do that? like a 99 or 2000?

Old 04-08-2005, 10:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ImABigBoyNow
Thanks guys for your responses, my problem is because of school and work, I simply dont have the time to go dealer hopping and looking at all the different models. Im glad there is such knowledgeable people on these forums.

Any other suggestions/ comments?

Thanks again, Bill
what if u find a used one? like 2 years old or someting? or do u want new.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:45 PM
Trailblazer

Im looking to go brand new, mainly because here on Long Island there isnt many used ones available. Plus this way I know the entire history of the machine, plus I will have a warranty. The machine that I really think will fit me is the Sportsman 500, plus Polaris made huge improvements this last year, or so I've read.

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-08-2005, 10:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ImABigBoyNow
Im looking to go brand new, mainly because here on Long Island there isnt many used ones available. Plus this way I know the entire history of the machine, plus I will have a warranty. The machine that I really think will fit me is the Sportsman 500, plus Polaris made huge improvements this last year, or so I've read.

Thanks, Bill
bill? and u wanna get the 500 h.o. right? i heard that they are betetr than the 700 and 600. my frined had a 700 and a 500 and him and his g/f like the 500 better.

Old 04-08-2005, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

Yup you got it, the 500 HO, Im just kind of torn between the Sportsman, and the Honda Rubicon, thats basically what I'm trying to do, is sort out the differences between the two.

Thanks, Bill

Old 04-08-2005, 10:56 PM
Elite Pro Rider

oh lol i get it. yur name is bill. i thought u were like sayign thanks to me... and u thought my name was bill. lol . i guess im not thay bright.

Quick Reply: Looking to Buy a Polaris