Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking to Buy a Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 11:17 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to Buy a Polaris

If your in no hurry there just may be a 500 EFI showing up at the dealers in August , once they do I'll be trading mine in. While I love my 700 EFI I think the 500 EFI just may be the perfect quad for me. Always keep in mind that while someone may love a certin kind of quad their riding conditions may be different than yours, where do you plan to ride ? Mud ? Trails ? Hills ? Or something silly like usde it for work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-08-2005, 11:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WGMARQ
If your in no hurry there just may be a 500 EFI showing up at the dealers in August , once they do I'll be trading mine in. While I love my 700 EFI I think the 500 EFI just may be the perfect quad for me. Always keep in mind that while someone may love a certin kind of quad their riding conditions may be different than yours, where do you plan to ride ? Mud ? Trails ? Hills ? Or something silly like usde it for work [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
yea, lol that is all we have here in mass.

Old 04-09-2005, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Two big positives for the Sportsman are the true AWD and the very smooth ride. If you plan on riding in deep mud or snow, the Sportsman should definetly be considered. When in 2wd, only the rear wheels get power. In AWD, the rears receive power until they slip, then power is also applied to the front wheels. Keep in mind that all the wheels are physically locked together when the fronts engage, so all four wheels receive full power. Like a fully locked truck or jeep.

Sportsmans are also known for there amazing suspension. It is often agreed that they are the smoothest riding ATV.
Sorry, but I have no experience with the Rubicon. But I see no reason not to get a Sportsman.

Old 04-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

My wifes brother has a 04 sportsman 600 and a 03 rubicon and I've spent time on both. If you like to get beat up on rough conditions then get the rubicon! Rides like a hay wagon compared to the sportsman's. No comparison, get the sportsman just for the ride alone! JMHO

Old 04-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

Just buy one already!!! lol

On a serious note, I would recommend a polaris to anyone and not worry about them regretting the decision. Actually if you aren't picky, you wont regret most of the atv's out there. There are a lot of nice ones out there.

Polaris has everything I want, comfort, power, and ruggedness, and finally, the biggest and baddest atvs out there!! lol

Old 04-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris !! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

Hang on guys, the comparison in the original quote is between the Polaris Sp500 and Honda Rubicon, which has a swing arm rear suspension and a solid axle. They are apples and oranges. But lets address the questions anyway.

The Polaris transmission is a proven mechanism with many years of high performance service history. It's the transmission all the other manufacturers are trying to duplicate. It achieves it's engine braking totally mechanically with no electronic intervention. The AWD is an excellent system that works seamlessly in snow, mud, and other loose surfaces, even while towing heavy loads. Their is no "locking differential" to speak of on the Polaris. The front "diff" does not differentiate power between each wheel, instead it is a clutch system that either allows the front wheels to free wheel independently or with the AWD switched on it locks the front wheels together once it receives power. It's an all or nothing situation, when power is sent to the front wheels they spin together and unlock automatically once traction is regained at the rear. It works great and takes a beating, no need to worry about damage with too much throttle, I should know. I use my Sp600 to haul manure up into a field uphill through snow and mud for about 1/3 of a mile and I never failed to make it all winter long, and it's not a plowed road either.

The Rubicon transmission seems to be an awesome unit. It's a hydromechanical system with electronic controls and infinite ratios just like the Polaris. The Polaris CVT is a belt transmission just like a snowmobile. They both have their pros and cons and it's up to the consumer to sort them out. Some complain that the Polaris CVT can get wet, but in order to get water in it you would almost have to sink the entire machine. The Hondamatic on the other hand is a sealed unit and can't be drowned. They are both great performers.

The Honda has a drum brake in the rear, the Polaris has discs at both ends. The Honda has 3.5 wheel drive because of the lack of a front locking mechanism, the Polaris has AWD, all four spin when needed. The Honda has 7.5 inches of ground clearance, the Polaris 11.25.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-10-2005, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

regardless with all that i have owned both i went from a 500 rubicon to my 700 my best friend has a 500 ho and a 700

i know for a fact that the 500 polaris will outrun the rubicon but pulling the polaris has no prayer the rubicon has a awesome tranny for pulling

as the saying goes every quad fits every rider different it is what you feel comfortable on you really need to test drive both before you purchase

on another note polaris is the only company that sends free stuff to thier owners i have gotten fleece blankets,hats,shirts,wallclocks and just little things

Old 04-10-2005, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

I have owned a 01 Rubicon and now own a 05 700EFI and I can tell you that I like Polaris hands down compared to the Rubicon. I think the Polaris is better for work or play because it has an unbelieveable ride with irs and even with the irs it has a higher tow rating than the rubicon at 850 pounds. The tranny on the Rubicon is very smooth and good for work. I think the Polaris 500HO has a tow rating of 1225 pounds and the 700 is 1500 pounds. I like the awd system better on the Polaris because of all four wheels spinning instead of 3 1/2. The Polaris has alot better storage compartments with storage in the front rack and the rear. Polaris has alot beter stock tires that the cheap ones on the Rubicon. If I had to do it again, I would buy the 700EFI in a second.