Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dead horse run, Clam lake, WIS.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead horse run, Clam lake, WIS.

I've done the Hurley Trails for the past couple years. The group I go with usually ends up going the weekend right after the poker run so we get to hear all the good stories from the Days Inn staff. I will be riding the Black River Falls trails this year, I heard that is a nice trail system with the new connections. I'd love to hear about the Clam Lake trails. Is there a dedicated place on this forum for organizing rides? I'd love to here about the rides going on in WI and maybe meet up with some of you.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:06 PM
Elite Pro Rider

You guys will appreciate these photos.
dead horse pics
I really want to go back and ride the dead horse again sometime, but this next time I want to be on a quad.
Last time I was there was about 7 years ago...on motorcycles. It was a disaster. It was so hot and humid, and so wet ...i fell 4 times, in the first 4 miles. Its incredibly wet, and the bottom of the puddles have all kinds of slippery rocks and logs in them. Itd be a blast on 4 wheelers, but really is a challange on motorcycles.
Bring plenty of gas, youre gonna burn alot, and im not sure about 2wd making it thru..but if someone had winches and straps, then a 2wd could make it. This is definetly a trail, you dont want to go alone on.
Bring dry socks and hip wadders, youll use them.

Old 04-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Pro Rider

Nice pics Hondabuster, we're going in spring so the mud should be plentiful. My wheeling friends who go to hurley, black river, and park falls, were nice enough to invite me on this trip, hope I can can keep up with the rest of the pack. What happened to the two wheeler?

Old 04-15-2005, 01:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Just a few scratchees and small dents, I wasnt going very fast. But the mud is so slippery, and the hidden objects in the huge puddles, make it hard to keep your balance. It would be a blast on a 4 wheeler, when you dont have to worry about tipping over in the middle of the puddle.
Give us a report when you get back, Id like to get there once this summer.
Are you starting on the south end, at the campground north of lorreto?

Old 04-15-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Staying in a motel in park falls I think then going to Loretta and blasting off.

Old 04-26-2005, 12:32 AM
Trailblazer

Bigdog, I'll watch for the Polaris'. A couple of us are riding the Deadhorse on the 7th and then camping overnight 5/7 at Wolf's Eagle Lodge by Loretta. Look for a red KQ and a green 700 prairie. Never rode the entire trail, should be interesting......

Old 04-26-2005, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

Did you see honda busters pics, HOLY CRAP I didn't know I'd need a jon boat for this ride! I finally super sized and went through all 60. I don't know if a 2504x4 will make some of this stuff, although I put 25in. tires on and there is always low range.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

Looking at my Sawyer county map it says the deadhorse (Trail 25) don't open until May 15. Did they open it early this year?

Old 04-27-2005, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

Triple checked the maps and did find that the deadhorse is closed until may 15. I wish the state of wisconsin would just make it mandatory for all trail closures to end on May 1. I feel sorry for anyone out of state trying to make plans to ride here in WI , you've got to look at fifteen frickin' different resources to find out connecting routes to ride.

Maybe we should band together and mass e-mail the DNR about this BS. Of course, if they had their way, all trails would be closed until June 1.

Sorry, had to vent, not enongh coffee this morning at work.......

Old 04-27-2005, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

I was up at the Camp Loretta trail head a few weeks ago and the sign there said May 1st. On my map it it dosen't say about Dead Horse. But the Tuscobia opens April 15th and the Flambeau opens May15th. I'll have to make a call up there before we leave. Maybe we'll just go to the Parrish and lincoln county trails.

Quick Reply: Dead horse run, Clam lake, WIS.