Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dead horse run, Clam lake, WIS.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead horse run, Clam lake, WIS.

You can call the glidden ranger office at 715 264 2511, or the hayward office at 715 634 4821, and they will be able to tell you when its open and the conditions.
I think they wait for may 15 , so the frost can come out of the ground and the plants can get growing, before they allow wheelers. It helps to keep erosion down.

BigcountryWI, I see you want to back to moab....im going in june. Which trails did you go on? Is it as great as they make it out to be?
Were renting when we get there...I got my choice of a rincon or a ranger...i think im going for the rincon. Did you rent or haul your quads out there?

Old 04-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

all but 2 of the trails in Iron county Wi are open. We will be up there riding on 5/6 and 5/7[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-28-2005, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer

Check out atvnation.com I believe that a big group rode the deadhorse trail this spring. Rode it last year in the spring. Definately need mud tires for the ride. Great time.

Old 04-29-2005, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

We stayed at the oxbo resort 2 years ago and rode over to the dead horse trail and then rode north to clam lake and then backto the oxbo we were in the saddle for about 12 hours what a great ride. Lots of mud rocks and a good time, we ate in clam lake great food and some cocktails We had 9 in our group, this year we are staying at same place and have about 12-14 people going Hopefully it is alittle muddy and as fun as it was 2 years ago. We also hauled wheelers over to fitfield to wintergreen trailhead and rode that trail system, it is a pretty nice trail, some waterholes and hills, but not as much mud as deadhorse.

Old 05-03-2005, 12:11 AM
Trailblazer

Here's a link to see PDF's of the Sawyer County mapsSawyer County maps

Old 05-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Pro Rider

Hi guys,

We ride Iron County almost exclusively. Just to give you some idea, before we traded up to 700 EFIs three months ago, my ’01 HO had 8170 miles on it, all in Iron County (well, a few in Ashland Co). When the locals ask John Windt, the warden for the northern half of the county, who can show them around the trails he sends them to me.

During what we call a “pre-rally” ride (the week before the Memorial Day Weekend Rally) two or three years ago we met up with some friends from the Milwaukee area to ride from Iron County to the Dead Horse Trail (Ashland Co). There were about a dozen of us, all on big utes. I’ll have to say there were a few water hazards and some logs to hop but no REAL mud. The water was deep but all the pools had a hard bottom. The scenery was nice but it didn’t change much. All in all, it was a long dusty ride there and back and it was worth doing once but we’ve never been back. Probably will someday, just for something a little different but I didn’t think it was that challenging. It could be if the water was real deep from a lot of rain but don’t expect much of a mud challenge.

We keep a travel trailer parked year-round at a private campground at Island Lake. It used to be called Island Lake Campground and Resort but the owner closed the bar and took down the signs a few years ago so now it’s private. It’s a stone’s throw from ******* Island Lake Inn, if you know where that is. We’ll be going up tomorrow to ride Friday and Saturday (5/6 & 7) if anyone here wants to look us up. The campground is small, and we’re all the way in the back of it. Look for a dark green ’02 F250 diesel and you’ve found us. The travel trailer is just a place to lay our heads between rides. We’re usually on the trails by 11:AM and don’t return till after 10[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]M, sometimes way after, so mornings are best. This weekend there will be three of us riding, all on ’05 MOBU 700 EFIs so we may see you on the trails.

I’ll be driving up Monday 5/23 for our “pre-rally ride” this year, so riding will begin on Tuesday 5/24. We’ll ride through Memorial Day and drive back the Tuesday after, so if you get a chance to look us up during that week, consider yourselves invited.

Old 05-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

About 3 years ago when I had my DS650, I did about 10 miles of the dead horse run with a large group. It is possoble to get around most of the big holes, and now that I think about it, I never got stuck! I was surprised my DS650 could go through almost 30" of water without stalling! My dad still does regular trips riding the Tuscobia trail from Birchwood to Park Falls. There is an EXCELLENT prime rib buffet Saturday nights in Fifield, right by Park falls. I would definitely recommend it since you can ride from Park Falls to the restaurant. Northern Wisconsin is some of the best trail riding in the country!

Old 05-04-2005, 04:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Floodrunner, you guys have it made up there...all those trails, and no big cities.
Heres a good site for others who are interested in iron county atv trails.
iron county

Old 05-04-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks hondabuster. Iron County has the best riding in the state. Unfortunately the county forestry administrator who took over a couple years ago is anti-motorsports. Hard to believe, I know, in a county that relies so heavily on motorsports tourism for its financial sustanance. Logging provides the other big checks in the county, and apparently Charlie must be decent at that because he still has a job. He sure has the ATVers and business owners who know what’s going on pissed off and the A-Team (Iron County ATV ***.) is afraid of him. He’s a well-intentioned guy, but so were those who paved the road to Hell.

I’ve been riding up there for years and not till Charlie Zinsmaster was appointed forestry administrator did trails automatically close in the spring. He even tried closing the trails that are town roads his first year, until it was pointed out to him he was overstepping his authority. He’s systematically closing woodland trails and/or rerouting them out of the “fun stuff.” He told me personally if he had his way he’d level, seed and close every ATV trail in Iron County.

Now there’s a plan on the table for one or two “ATV Parks” in Iron County. Oh boy, lets go do circles around a track with man-made whoops all day while toy cops watch! Yeah, sign me up for that. The non-riding business owners in the county support the idea with the misguided notion the overall effect will be an increase in ATVs coming into the county. If they do it right they’ll get some business from the “shredder crowd” (no loud pipes in this park!) but those of us who ride big utes in search of gooey mud and enjoy riding to the waterfalls will have packed up and gone by then. They just don’t see the handwriting on the wall that once these parks are established then “why is there a need for a trail system outside the parks?” It’s sad really, but the locals who back this plan will get what they deserve when they allow Zinsmaster to chase the majority of the “real riders” (and their money) into other counties. It’s almost funny that as other counties are recognizing the positive economic impact of ATV trails and playing catch-up, Iron County has had the best and the most trails in the state for years and Zinsmaster is closing them down or pouring gravel on them. Go figure.

I’ve sent letters to the county board and the newspapers and I made a dent once but it had no lasting effect. Iron County is a bit like a family tree that doesn’t fork. As an outsider they’ll be happy to take your money but please leave your opinion at the county line. I’ve been told just that in no uncertain terms. So until Charlie confines us completely to gravel roads or paves Trail 6 (he’s trying) we’ll “ride ‘em like we stole ‘em” and enjoy what few good trails are left in Iron County. I only hope that by the time the “Zinsmaster Master Plan” takes hold I’ll be too old and decrepit to swing a leg over a saddle. But at the rate he’s going that’s a lot to hope for.

Happy Trails, while they last……

Old 05-09-2005, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

Just rode the Deadhorse Sat & Sunday (May 7&8). Despite what I found on the internet and the Sawyer County Map, it was open. Every road crossing was marked with signs indicating the March 15-April 30 OHV ban.

The deadhorse was not that bad as the conditions were dry. When we got to trail 8 and on our way to clam lake, we took a wrong turn due to an incorrect sign and we hit a very challenging trail. it was impassable, and I nearly lost the wife in one of the holes, and almost drowned my $7000 machine. We turned around and took the forest service road after that.

Our next ride will be in the Black River State forest, so far were planning for next week may 16, 17, 18.

Quick Reply: Dead horse run, Clam lake, WIS.