Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Dalton Blue in the 800...Interesting results....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dalton Blue in the 800...Interesting results....

Well I ordered the dalton Blue people are talking about. I did the swap today, and I came up with my opinion.

I didn't like it. I didn't ride the bike first. I came home pulled the cover, pulled the primary cover and swaped the springs. I did this for a reason. I didn't want to get confused with the power. I remember it being powerful, and I wanted to get an opinion on what it was like without riding it first without the spring. Well first off a tap of the throttle and it didn't feel very torquie. I figured it may be just me. So I rode it around a little played a little then took it out to the road. I did a top end blast. The best I could get out was a whole 55 mph. I knew then that I was correct in my first opinion about the loss of low end power.

I also did some launches from a stop on the street. It still pulled the wheels, but I could stay on it and ride it out. It wasn't that high.

So then I went back to the shed and swapped the spring back to stock. I touched the throttle and instantly the low end was back. I took it out to the street and let it eat. This resulted in letting off the throttle because the front end was much higher in the air. I am not that comfortable yet to stay in it to see how far it will or will not go up. I then took it out to our main road and did a top end blast. My speedo stopped a hair from 70 @6050-6100 RPM's

With all that said who want's to buy a Dalton Blue from me?????I am going to check to see if it will improve my 97 400 that is stock first though...

Old 04-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Interesting post.
I too own an 800, but with only 90 miles (a week old) it will not pull the front end off the ground, only when you hit something to start the front end coming up. Is this normal yet? I find it very powerfull, but not as willing to wheelie as everyone claims.

pm me for that spring

Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Your report is quite different then mine. I have a 300' straight stretch in my driveway, and with the stock spring I was only able to get it to about 45mph. With the Dalton on the same stretch I got 50mph. With my stock spring it would take off like yours, but around 35-40mph mine seemed to flatten out and gradually climb. With my Dalton it just kept climbing. When I was at my race in Florida I was with my friend with his V-Force. The V had a pipe, air box mods, and a lot of clutch work. We raced many times and he got no more then a lenth on me. I even passed Mike Penland on his Brute on a strait away. So either you got the wrong one, or I got a different spring that is colored blue. I am very happy with mine. Did your Dalton blue look like the same color as your stock minus the green stripe?

Old 04-13-2005, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

yea it was similar in color. A shade darker maybe. It also seemed to have another coil or 2 in the spring over the stocker. I don't think I could have done something wrong. It isn't rocket science for installation. The hardest part is removing the footrest and a few of those damn plastic clip things that hold the fenders in place. maybe the midrange was a tad stronger. But off the start my stocker was definately stronger, and the top end their is no comparison eather. I guess I could try it again to make srure. I ordered it from Rick...

Old 04-13-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

I just spoke with Rick. I am going to do a few tests with the Dalton, mostly to check the low/mid range. He is telling me that it is probably tricking me and is faster in the low/mid range. But the top end is not going to be there even he told me that. He was looking at charts or something that Dalton has but is not spacific to the 800.

The the stall speed if you will seemed to be only 100 RPM's or so higher than stock. Rick said it should be better than that.

More testing tomorrow I guess.

Old 04-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

I got some test results. I swapped the springs again before dark.

60' 300'

Stock 30MPH 50MPH
Dalton 26MPH 48MPH

I cant figure the stall rate of the spring. It is a touch higher than stock not much, but noticable

Inital take off is stronger with the stock spring
it feels that the midrange may be a tad stronger as you can see it picked up some MPH by the time it hit the 300' mark.

in my rock driveway the dalton taps the revlimiter a few times under full throttle. The stocker isn't as bad.

I think I will stay with the stocker myself. But I am going to try this one more time tomorrow just to put 3 test on it. I'll also try another top speed blast with the dalton.....

Old 04-14-2005, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider

what is the stock spring?
¸and what is the spring rate,70 mph at 6000 rpm is a potent setup to come..

Old 04-14-2005, 04:14 PM
Pro Rider

stock spring is blue with a green stripe. That is the spring that gave me the top end it is stock....The Dalton took away almost 15mph. I'll test it again in a few hours. I don't recall the stock spring rate. My book is in the shed. I'll post it when I do the other test.

Old 04-14-2005, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

I can't get an extensive test today. I almost forgot that I have to go to lamas (sp) class for our first newborn.

I tried the top end again with the dalton Blue. It is pretty windy out but I did go faster than before. I almost hit my69-70 mark. It doesn't seem to get to the top as fast. The RPM's were pretty much stuck on 6250 which was more than I noticed with the stock spring on my top end blast. The conditions are bad we have 10-20mph winds at the moment so it was a chore trying to get anything to happen the way I wanted.

Still down low stop-60 feet My stock spring is faster. speed wise. The time it took to get to the 60 foot mark is not known. In reality we need to be timing it to the foot markings and not going by MPH to them.

I just need to go to my local track and do a test and tune with the thing.......

for what it is worth (not much) I feel the stocker is stronger out of the hole and on the top. JMO. The the midrange 30-50 mph I cant tell. Anyone else besides GE4X4 and I have this spring????

Old 04-15-2005, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Glad to see someone is doing something with these big quads. On a side note with their be proven power gains with your dual exhaust and air kit. Dyno maybe. I am into the products but nobody seems to be able to tell you more than it feels faster, better, or has more torque. I would like #'s on paper. The same thing with that power commander.

Hope to deal with you guys in the future with this quad.....

Quick Reply: Dalton Blue in the 800...Interesting results....