Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Primary Spring is it hard to change

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 12:46 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary Spring is it hard to change

How is everyone, haven't been on in a while. I asked plenty of questions about what to do to my 01 TB 325. I have decided to go with a new spring, K&N, vented airbox and maybe jets. My question is is the spring hard to change? I'm very mechanical and have a manual, however I looked at the book and am somewhat confused. Do I need any special tools to change the spring? Also has anyone experienced any early belt failure after a spring of clutch upgrade? I would appreciate any info, planning on calling RCR soon.

Thanks[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Pro Rider

It is the same as my 800. Probably is just different components and a few other things. The primary has a 5/8 bolt holding it to the crank. Loosen that and pull it out. Then you have 6 smaller bolts holding the cover on the primary. I think the were 3/8. Mark a spot on the outer part with a marker and a spot on the main body just to be sure it goes back on how you took it off. Just remove those 6 small bolts and it is off. The spring has a little tension on it. Don't worry it isn't going to go flying anywhere. It is very easy to do.

Old 04-19-2005, 01:01 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info, I need to give Rick a call and talk about which spring to go with a little higher RPM mid range would be nice.

Old 04-19-2005, 05:14 AM
Pro Rider

Its fairly easy, getting the secondary back together with the c clip ring is a biatch.

cut this from an article...

Increasing the engagement speed is usually accomplished by installing a spring with higher pre-tension in the primary clutch. The flyweights need a higher centrifugal force to overcome the higher pre-tension, and as a result the engine speed will increase before engagement with the belt.

The pressure spring is easy to change. After you remove the transmission cover, you remove the belt from the transmission. To change the spring you first need to unscrew the center mounting bolt. You then unscrew the six bolts holding the cover in place, and you are ready to change the spring. Getting the cover back on with a stiffer spring can be a hassle. A simple trick is to get a large washer that fits over the center mounting bolt and screw the cover in to where you can install the 6 cover bolts.