Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

250 engine siezed

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 250 engine siezed

ok im gonna seem like an *** saying this... but check the obvious.

is the gas on? fuel filter clogged? bad gas? air filter old?

just go over the simple stuff first before assuming the worst. i have found this to be th case more times than not when thinkin theres a aMAJOR problem......

X

Old 04-19-2005, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

let me tell u 500 bucks for a rebuld from a dealer is not asuming the worst. its jsut labor, piston, bore gaskets and normal parts. no bearings or anything. i had it done once and it was about 550. i did it myself the next time when i let it go lean. it was 40 for a bore, 90 for a piston and obviously free labor. oh 22 for gaskets. polaris sticks a cast piston back in. do it yourself and put in a wiseco. cheaper, lighter stronger. jsut my 2cents

Old 04-19-2005, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

scramblerXrated, thanks for the suggestions, my problems usually end up being something stupid like that, but I don't think so this time. The wheeler has been running fine the past few days, fuel is on, fuel filter was replaced a few weeks ago. Fresh gas, same stuff that's in the other two quads.

If I have time I'll drop it off at the dealer tomorrow. I could look at some of those things my self, but there is no replacement for a trained eye. I must admit that I would be a lot sadder now if we hadnt gotten a new truck for me to drive on saturday [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2005, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

I've done 2 of these engines, crank bearings and all. The difference I guess is I dropped the engine off already out of the chassis. Saved a few dollars that way. One was $450 and one was $420.

Old 04-19-2005, 10:35 AM
ox
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scramblerXrated
ok im gonna seem like an *** saying this... but check the obvious.

is the gas on? fuel filter clogged? bad gas? air filter old?

just go over the simple stuff first before assuming the worst. i have found this to be th case more times than not when thinkin theres a aMAJOR problem......

X
The pull start won't move, it cant get over the first cycle even with the plug out.

Old 04-19-2005, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

Lol ox, you are doing a fine job of keeping us all in line.

I dropped it off this morning, he said he might have enough time to look into it today, but maybe not.

In other news, I ripped another boot on the 400. This time a front, even with the a-arm guards. That is the 6th one. The back guards seem to be working well though, no rips back there yet.
Knock on wood.

I am going back outside, it is so nice out today. Have a good day.
Tyler

Old 04-19-2005, 03:51 PM
ox
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2005, 07:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like the piston skirt broke to me, mine did the exact same thing when I broke mine. the motor bogs as the skirt gets tossed around and grinded in the crabk case(suprisingly this made no noise) and for me I shut the motor down and couldn;t restart it as a larger piece of skirt got logged inbetween the case and the crank.

has the top end been rebuilt yet? I assume you will know soone enough but if its under warranty, do not allow the dealer/shop to put in another polaris piston. I'd let them do everything but the top end and have the jug locally punched and get a forged slug in that badboy.

Old 04-19-2005, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

They didn't get back to me today, so I will see what they say tomorrow. I didn't get an extended warantee, so I'm not thinking it'll be covered. Any chance that Polaris might cover any of it, even though it is out of warrantee, because I did nothing wrong (as far as I know so far)?

Old 04-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wow, 500 bucks. It's easy on a trailblazer( no coolant) to rebuild. I've always had problems with main jets plugging up, but it just won't run. I had a real strange problem with my 400 scrambler. It kept siezing. Something got into the banjo bolt that supplied oil to the engine and it would block the flow of oil. Not too many oil pumps go bad. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 250 engine siezed