Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Treestand rack for 05 Sportsman

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Treestand rack for 05 Sportsman

What is the favored rack or treestand holder for the hunting atv? I would like one to mount on the rear as low as possible. What is your experience with various brands.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Range Rover

dawgfan1,

Hands down the best one I've seen to date is the
ATV Totem® Treestand Carrier

This is the one I have on my 700, works great, very durable, causes a lot of people to ask "What's that"....LOL

I bought my brother one of the one from Wally World for his Birthday, and it bent the first time he used it, with that said the $60 is well worth it....

Hope this helps,
ZMan079

Old 04-25-2005, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Z,

Several of the guys in my club have those and love 'em. I was hoping to run across one that mounts lower so I can pull my truck in the garage the night before when the atv is already loaded. Thanks for your input.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:09 PM
Range Rover

Problem with a lower mount is you could have your treestand covered with mud if conditions aren't right.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:11 PM
Trailblazer

Very true Oleman, but someone gave me a scrap of old bedliner that I can cut mud flaps from and mount to back of atv. Food for thought.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Range Rover

Sounds like a good concept, but unless you can keep the mud flap from contacting the tires, i.e. the tire lugs, because of the overhang, your flap could end up on top of the tire and your stand full of mud. Something to bear in mind during construction.

Old 04-25-2005, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

Oleman,

All good points. That's why I'm on a forum looking for hints rather that mounting stuff. I've got a brand new atv and want to explore many alternatives. I can't mentally picture how the mud flaps would hang far enough down to protect the treestand and still not contact the tires. On the other hand, I can't picture the mud flap in the middle where I picture the treestand holder because it would block access to the storage compartment.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:44 PM
Range Rover

Most racks I've seen are all similar to the one ZMan posted. You may have to leave the tailgate down with that setup too, if you can somehow close it now. If that's too high to fit in your garage, is there a problem putting in on the rear rack and bungee cording it down? Where I hunt I have a storage shed with all my stands in it. I just bungee cord a stand to the rear rack when I put them out or move them. It infringes on the seat a little while it's back there. I usually put it on a canvas tarp to keep from scratching the rack.

Old 04-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

My main concern is scratching both the Summit and the brand new Polaris. My previous atv had so many scratches from metal to metal contact that I want to avoid with this one. There is also the noise factor to consider. Tarps and such can squelch the sound, but ultimately you have trouble locating all the stuff in the dark... The height thing is not a show stopper because I plan to trailer it most of the time anyway. There are occasions where it will be necessary to transport in the bed of the truck.

Old 04-25-2005, 07:01 PM
Pro Rider

I made my own multi-use carrier starting with a trailer ball receiver mounted on a ball in the rear hitch, then made up a rectangular frame using 2x4's and short pieces of angle with bolts for the joints. On top I attached the wood frame to the rack extension with hook bolts thru the wood frame and wing nuts so it's easy to install or take off. Drill shallow holes in the front of the frame up and down the sides and top for tarp strap hooks to grab. The wood frame makes it quieter for hauling metal objects, I carry a ladder stand or pop-up blinds, really you can set it up for whatever you need. It's simple and inexpensive, works for me.....

Quick Reply: Treestand rack for 05 Sportsman