Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Running Hot??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Hot??

Got my quad out today, gave it a good wash. I then rode it around to see if I could get the cooler fan to kick on. It came on after about ten mins of riding, and seemed to stay on a little longer than usual. I tryed to get the radiator as clean as possible. It seemed pretty clean on the front of it. Could mud get between the little slats in the radiator, and stop it up enought to couse it to run hot, or would it have to completely cover the front of the radiator? Also, could the front of the radiator be clean, and the back be stopped up? I could feel the fan drawing air past the front of the guard, so I think its gettin ventilation. Idk, what do yall think?

Old 05-05-2005, 01:30 AM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

it sounds like the fluid is not pumping through if you can feel the air coming through with the fan on, you will need to have your radiator flushed out to get any buildup out. this is the only other thing i can think of, maybe someone else can help you if this does not fix it, but i say radiator fulsh it. PB500

Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

Whats the easiest way to flust my radiator? Anybody got a step by step? never done it before, and dont want to screw anything up.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default Running Hot??

Originally posted by: bigbamaboy
Got my quad out today, gave it a good wash. I then rode it around to see if I could get the cooler fan to kick on. It came on after about ten mins of riding, and seemed to stay on a little longer than usual. I tryed to get the radiator as clean as possible. It seemed pretty clean on the front of it. Could mud get between the little slats in the radiator, and stop it up enought to couse it to run hot, or would it have to completely cover the front of the radiator? Also, could the front of the radiator be clean, and the back be stopped up? I could feel the fan drawing air past the front of the guard, so I think its gettin ventilation. Idk, what do yall think?
When in thick mud and after riding you should remove protective screen and blow out with air gun{if dry or when dry} in lower sections of the fins.Check for fine debris if there is alot then physically remove rad and flush with water until no more dirt comes out. I found certain types of mud once hard is next to impossible to get out of rad.That is when air gun is the best.The rad flush removal is a lengthly process but that rad should weigh less than 5 pounds when i removed mine it was 20 pounds and took about 2 houirs until the water ran through the whole rad clean!
it is a long process but worth it.
I am also installing rad and oil temp gages like PBEAR on his pod.
these bikes are toys but maizntaince is nessesary. over 10000 bucks invested eh!~
GIVVER
Text

Old 05-06-2005, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

It sounds like that could be it. She rode, and didnt wash it. I washed yesterday, and it was ridden Sunday. I cant see any debris, mud,grass, etc. on the radiator. The fan kicks on and runs awhile then kicks back off w/o flashing hot, so maybe its ok. Idk. I'm gonna ride it maybe tomm, and see if it gets hot, if so, I guess I'll try to get the guard off and blow it out w/ the air hose.

Old 05-06-2005, 10:27 AM
Range Rover
Default Running Hot??

bigbamaboy,

If you are still having problems, one issue that I have read posts on, but never experienced is air in the cooling system. If you are stil having problems do a search on that and maybe that will help you out.....

ZMan079

Old 05-06-2005, 09:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Running Hot??

I think that Polaris has a definite problem with the fans on the Polaris Sportsman 500. Whenever mine overheats it is because the fan is not running. For a liquid cooled
4-stroke engine running synthetic oil, I think it runs surprisingly hot. It is very vulnerable if the fan doesn't work for any reason.

Does anyone know where the fan connection comes unplugged? Mine overheated today and i had to shut it off. Thanks.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

BIG BAMA:
Had the same thing happen with mine. Probably mud in the radiator. It is very very difficult to get out unless you remove the guard and spray out every inch of the radiator, they seem to need most of it breathing cleanly to cool effectively. Check out my gauges I installed for that same reason. I had a "t" fitting machined and put it in the upper radiator hose for the temperature sensor for the gauge. That way the "hot" light sensor still works. See gauges in my pics.

To make the radiator guard easier to take on and off, I coated the plastic tabs with vaseline so that now it is a breeze to take off and clean out the radiator. I almost pulled the machine across the floor trying to remove the guard the first time.

I also bought a 12V submersible bilge pump from Highlifter that I carry on the trail to clean out the radiator when it gets clogged. Works if you can find a clean creek.

Also, Roll Tide.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

I hear ya brother, Roll Tide. I played a couple years of college ball up a Tenn Tech, and I got about as much of that nasty Orange as I could handle. Its like a big orange wearing cult. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Do you take your rack off, then the plastic guard off, or do you take off the front metal guard?

P.S. Hixson isnt that far from me, about 45 mins. You got any good places to ride up there in Chatt town? I got some good ones down here. I can get to Trenton in about 30 mins, so it wouldnt be hard for us to meet up sometime.

Old 05-07-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

Bigbama,

I dont remove the rack or plastic, just the screen type guard in front of the radiator. Mine was a bear to get off the first time, so that is why I use the vaseline. Also, I cleaned my radiator with the water hose 4-5 times from the front and the back with that screen guard in place and I was shocked at the amount of mud still in the radiator when I removed the screen guard. I have no problems now. I love my water temperature gauge. The fan comes on between 185-190 F just like the service manual says it should.

I have only started riding, so I am pretty much a novice. I have only lived here a few years, so I am limited in areas that I know to ride. We ride in Grundy County, TN which is about an hour northwest of chattanooga. We have a trip planned to Windrock on May 28th. Have you ever been there?

THe group I ride with is some guys I work with. We aren't especially crazy, but we will hit some mud, especially when the brand bashing kicks in. Us Polaris boys have to show them because we get dogged so much. Grundy county is Honda heaven.

Maybe we can plan a ride for late this summer. I have 2 small boys and I like to give my wife as much notice as possible, (I.E. I have to ask permission!!)

Quick Reply: Running Hot??