Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Running Hot??

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Hot??

My sister took my quad of the side of the mtn Sunday, and when she got back to the top, she said it was flashing HOT on the lcd screen. Idk what caused this. I checked everything Sat. Plenty of coolant, oil, fluides, etc. She said she kept it in low range and took her time coming up. I havnt had a chance took look at it so idk. Has anyone else had this happen? How hot do they have to get for the warning light to flash? Luckly my buddy was with them, and he pulled it back to the truck, so it wasnt ran anymore. Is there any chance of damage? I would really like to know what yall SP owners think.

Old 05-03-2005, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

1ST-let it idle in the yard for a little while and see if the fan kicks on and off some without the warning light coming on, if it doesn't come on, then it is a problem with the fan somewhere OR make sure a stick didn't get caught in there keeping the fan from spinning

2nd-if fan does come on and it still is HOT then clean the radiator by taking off the radiator guard and cleaning it really good with the water hose.

3rd-if all the fluids are good, sounds like your radiator is stopped up and will not let the fluid come through and these machines are liquid cooled, so it is crucial for the coolant to flow. you will need to flush your radiator really well to fix this problem

4th-I DON'T KNOW IF YOU GET TO THIS STEP

hope this helps, PB500

Old 05-03-2005, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

I had mine flash one time the fan wires just came loose pluged it back up and has been fine since. I think the hot light comes on around 121 degrees give or take a few.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default Running Hot??

Hey check your screen and rad for blockage most likely mud build up in fins and or screen,
Also check your engine oil .What does it look like clean or burn't?Make sure the oil level is the same as when you put it in or changed it.
I've had a few issues in this area with my 04 / 600 and overheating.
If your fan isn't coming on when warm unplug the engine sensor on block and run again. It should kick in if not then your fan or module may be gone . I hope this helps.
PS the pics are good and it looks like your mud in that area may be your issue, Thats a good problem !

Givver

Old 05-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer
Default Running Hot??

Originally posted by: polarisbear500
1ST-let it idle in the yard for a little while and see if the fan kicks on and off some without the warning light coming on, if it doesn't come on, then it is a problem with the fan somewhere OR make sure a stick didn't get caught in there keeping the fan from spinning

2nd-if fan does come on and it still is HOT then clean the radiator by taking off the radiator guard and cleaning it really good with the water hose.

3rd-if all the fluids are good, sounds like your radiator is stopped up and will not let the fluid come through and these machines are liquid cooled, so it is crucial for the coolant to flow. you will need to flush your radiator really well to fix this problem

4th-I DON'T KNOW IF YOU GET TO THIS STEP

hope this helps, PB500

Hey i am looking for oil and temp gages can you help me out what type are you running and is there alot to install?
Also i need overide disconnect procedure?

Old 05-03-2005, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

Polarisbear 500 made some very imformative points. Check what he said.

My 600 had the temp light flash only once, I was riding at the H/M Trails, and after riding though a huge mud pit about 6 times, we left and rode another 23 miles, with the last 6 miles being on the main Rt 10. Well, the light came on, I rode another 100 yards to a suitable pulloff spot, and it just sputtered and shutoff, and wouldn't start back up. I looked at the radiator, and it was caked full of mud with no way for air to pass through. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] With the fan running the whole time not being able to draw air and with my lights on, it overworked the stator and blew that and my coil, at least that's what my mechanic and I could come up with. I replaced those two and has been fine since. I blame myself for that and not the machine.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

hey mudlover...i got my gauges -mechanical ones- at walmart for like 20 bucks... it is very simple to hook the water temp up, all you have to do is unplug your temp unit on the engine and replace it with correct fitting that came with the gauge kit...of course you will have to use thread tape and replace the coolant you lose from unplugging the temp plug.
the oil gauge is simple of you can get the oil pressure screw out--it is the allen head one and mine was a pain but yours may not be....
as far as the reverse override, i have seen them on ebay but some of the other guys on here can tell you a different way to do this...just search for Reverse Override and it will pull those topics up.PB500

Old 05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default Running Hot??

Originally posted by: polarisbear500
hey mudlover...i got my gauges -mechanical ones- at walmart for like 20 bucks... it is very simple to hook the water temp up, all you have to do is unplug your temp unit on the engine and replace it with correct fitting that came with the gauge kit...of course you will have to use thread tape and replace the coolant you lose from unplugging the temp plug.
the oil gauge is simple of you can get the oil pressure screw out--it is the allen head one and mine was a pain but yours may not be....
as far as the reverse override, i have seen them on ebay but some of the other guys on here can tell you a different way to do this...just search for Reverse Override and it will pull those topics up.PB500
Thank you for the info, Where did u mount these puppies?
On the pod?

Thank you PBEAR
GIVVER

Old 05-04-2005, 10:54 AM
Range Rover
Default Running Hot??

bigbamaboy,

One weekend on a poker runwe ran through some mud (first time) and stuff on a warm day, but I think the stream crossings had kept the radiator clean, the next weekend I had it out it was much, much cooler and I only rode about 5 mile and the thing started to flash. I checked the radiator and sure enough there was a lot of dirt, and grime from the dusty trail conditions, and mud from the mud holes. I found the nearest sstream after I let the fan cool it down and that jelped, next leg I got about 9 miles, after I let her cool down I went to the next stream and really gave it a bath. That seemed to work becasue the next 20 miles back to the truck it ran fine. I learned after that you need to be very dilligent with keeping the radiator clean. I think I will start carrying a little spray bottle so I can keep it clean if there is no water holes around.

Mudlover600Tw,

Check over at the ATV Frontier, Snowride has a nice kit to do the reverse override. I wired mine with a toggle switch, so that I can turn it on and off when I want to, I also wired in a reverse light and it turns on when you put it in Reverse, I also put the Reverse light on a seperate toggle, so I can use it as a Work light.

Hope this helps,
ZMan079

Old 05-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Running Hot??

Mudlover, yes i mounted them on the pod, take a look at my pics and you can see them. PB500

Quick Reply: Running Hot??