Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2000, 07:38 AM
TNT
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Getting my red 400 SP friday. Anybody have opinions on the type of helmets and where to buy. Also any other must haves for a new atv'er.

TNT

Old 10-04-2000, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

TNT

Welcome to the wonderful world of atv ownership! You will surely enjoy your new polaris. I got my wifes and my helments at Shadetree. Shadetree is a mail order company. You can call them at 1-888-shadetree. The have helments in all price ranges and will generally ship the same day you call. They have an Ohio warehouse, so I generally get everything next day. Living in NY, you will probably have everything in two days. Call them for a free catologe. I have had great service from them every time I call. You can also try Dennis Kirk online at www.denniskirk.com. Hope this helps.

Old 10-04-2000, 09:31 AM
Range Rover

HJC are good helments

Old 10-04-2000, 10:35 AM
Pro Rider

I think you will like the 400 SP seems like with the 425 liquid cooled engine it will be awesome.
Well for me A good comfy pair of gloves, some type of box for storage, I never seem to have enough storage for long trips. I carry extra gloves, a coat , tow rope, flashlight. I always keep some extra food too, usually Doritos, in case of munchies or when someone gets stuck or breaks down , it can come in handy to have a snack on hand. if you are lucky enough to have a woman in your life that likes to ride then Toilet Paper is a must. I have gotten so many wow your a so thoughtful to bring TP, from women on rides.

Old 10-04-2000, 10:45 AM
Pro Rider

Go to the local shops and try on helmets. It seems that the sizes vary amoungst manufacturers. Once you find one you like then order it mail order for a cheaper price. Dont guess on the size though. Also gloves are a life saver when riding all day long. And depending on how dusty it is around your area you may want goggles. Hope you enjoy your new quad!

Old 10-04-2000, 11:34 AM
Range Rover

Take the Safety Course as offered from the dealer. You'll get $100 bucks, which could pay for most of your helmet.

Remember, Helmets are habits, not the law.

Old 10-04-2000, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

dont forget goggles, to protect baby blues! Tow straps, TP (a must), water (you'll get very thirsty! first aid kit (that hpefully you'll never use). Be a responsible rider! Welcome to the wonderful world of ATVing! ride safe!
ENJOY!

Old 10-04-2000, 02:17 PM
TNT
Trailblazer

Thanks for all the tips. I ordered the dennis kirk catalog. JC Whitney has some helmets also. Finding it hard to sleep till friday. Do you get the 100 bucks from Polaris for the safety course?

TNT

Old 10-04-2000, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider

TNT

I think fishbones misled you a little on the $100. Yamaha offers its new purchasers $100 if they take a safety course that Yamaha will pay for. When you buy a Polaris, you are required to complete a basic safety course at the dealer. Your warranty is not valid until you take it. It only takes about 45 minutes and consist of watching a video and some basic riding skills.

As for accessories to buy, get yourself fully outfitted with proper safety gear before buying anything else. A full faced helment, goggles, and riding gloves are a must. I just wear hunting boots for riding, but some people swear by riding boots also. Above all, just have fun and be safe.

Old 10-04-2000, 04:22 PM
Range Rover

All of the ATV makers offer this $100. I will get my $100 from Bombardier just as others in the ATV safety course will receive the hundred from whoever. The safety course will also lower your insurance if you want to carry insurance. I don't think by much but anything will help. Look into this, your dealer should have gone over the safety class options and safety video before you finished the purchase.

Quick Reply: Helmets