Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broken Scrambler swingarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Scrambler swingarm

been there, done that, wrote the book about it, and still dealing with beating up the scrammy frame and swingarm.
3 different frames all custom modded,2 swing arms(one in the same spot) 6 rear axles 3 of them were dura blue,,and one BADLY BROKEN WRIST!
take it from me it's all about jumping and beating it,I never could control myself when riding my scrammy,it's so dam fun!!
JUST DON'T HALF *** IT, IF YOU DO THE SCRAMMY WILL SPANK YOU! what i mean is just get a new stronger swingarm(hot seat). if you don't you may end up getting hurt.look at me,,I let the front works shocks to wear out and didn't do anything about it ,now i'm broke and it all happens faster then you can realize.

I done now,by,by

matt

Old 08-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Trailblazer

I know, I know--laying out the cash to buy the atv is just the beginning. In all fairness to my wife (there is no chance she will ever read this post) she has been the cause of the majority of repair expenses. We have identical 99 Scram500s, but she somehow manages to damage mine, whether she is riding it or hers. There ain't no justice!

Since I have been getting my AARP bulletins for over a decade, I should probably switch to a more sedate type of ride, but I really like the Scrambler's ability to go anywhere I have the nerve to tackle. Not achieving a climb or crossing was never the machines fault, it was always mine.

I have learned a couple of important facts about the Scrambler:
1: I cannot bench press a Scrambler 500 (I've had the opportunity to test this fact twice)
2: There is no good alternative to tires with tread
3: A Scrambler can keep you ahead of the dust--until you reach the end of the trail or run out of gas
4: Wear a helmet, even if you are 'just going to doodle around camp'
5: Don't hit the stream or pond at over 5mph unless you have plenty of spare time to wait for the belt to dry out
6: Don't sit at home waiting for the weather to improve so you can ride. Get out in it!

Old 08-09-2005, 06:21 PM
Range Rover

[quote]
Originally posted by: DeskBound

5: Don't hit the stream or pond at over 5mph unless you have plenty of spare time to wait for the belt to dry out[quote]

On my '99 500 I got some flexible tubing from Autozone in the air filter section called "Mighty Flow Air Duct Hose". The diameter of the hose was 3"; larger than the outlet on the PVT cover because I wanted to make sure it would still vent properly and I just used zip ties to squeeze it tight. Anyway I ran it along where the stock PVT exahust vent came out and then up and under the hood and over the ECM and ended it pointing down towards the other side. I never had problems after that. I had it in water where it dies due to the airbox getting water in it and never had belt problems. For some reason I just never had problems with clutch inlet only exhaust.

Old 08-09-2005, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

I agree with you about Scramblers going anywhere. Love to ride my 500!! Even though I also have a V-force and a Scrambler 400, I would take the Scrambler 500 if I had to limit myself to only one bike.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer

Update to the Update:

We did some amateur welding on the broken swingarm and I rode it about 150 miles over 4 trips this summer. Last time out it was broken again--right through the angle iron splints we had added. Now before you get on me about riding too rough, maybe you should take into consideration that I don't know diddly squat about welding. But it was worth a try. Finally have given up on the busted bastich and found one on ebay.

The one on ebay is from a 2001 and fits perfectly. Except...

The mount for the shock is about 2 inches further back than that on the swingarm for the stock 99 Scrambler. In doing some belated research about the difference between 1999 Scrambler shock and 2001 Scrambler shock, it appears the later model is about 3 inches longer. A new shock is $260, and you have already probably figured out I am too cheap to go that route first.

Has anyone encountered this situation? I am thinking I will try to engineer a mount on the new swingarm that will accommodate my shorter shock.

Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you bought a long travel swing arm and your bike is not a long travel model. You can run your shock but you will lower the bike.

You can get a new works or fox shock, Or get a different swing arm.