Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Squeaking from the rear from my 04.5 500HO

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 10:02 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking from the rear from my 04.5 500HO

Hello everyone. I was wondering if anyone has experienced squeaking from the rear of their sportsmans. It started last year and is a little louder this year. It is coming from the right rear side and it is driving me nuts. I took the tire off and looked at the rotor and brake pad. Everything looks okay. No groves in the rotor and the pad has an even appearance of wear. But I did not take it apart and examine the pad. Any help is appreciated

Old 05-25-2005, 10:20 AM
2c3
Pro Rider

sounds like no grease in hub bearings. ride it up the road about a mile and come back. if your hub is hot thats what it is. mine was doing that to last week with only 280 miles on it. i took mine apart and the ball bearings fellout with nothing but dirt and dust in there and the race had already started rusting. i took sand paper and sanded the race and repacked the bearings and its fine now. there is a little plastic ring inside the race that holds the bearings in place. as long as thats ok you can clean everything up and repack them. if thats whats wrong with yours and you have any question on how to get the bearings out just let me know. you can do it yourself and save a lot of money.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Range Rover

chuch a.k.a. (2c3),

As I was reading over your reply, it seems very likely that is what it is. I would appreciate the info you offered about taking the bearings out.

Old 05-25-2005, 09:47 PM
Trailblazer

had that sound last week also and it was the bearings.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:01 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: 2c3
sounds like no grease in hub bearings. ride it up the road about a mile and come back. if your hub is hot thats what it is. mine was doing that to last week with only 280 miles on it. i took mine apart and the ball bearings fellout with nothing but dirt and dust in there and the race had already started rusting. i took sand paper and sanded the race and repacked the bearings and its fine now. there is a little plastic ring inside the race that holds the bearings in place. as long as thats ok you can clean everything up and repack them. if thats whats wrong with yours and you have any question on how to get the bearings out just let me know. you can do it yourself and save a lot of money.
So did Polaris downgrade their bearings? The hub bearings on my 2003 500 H.O. are sealed.

Gooseman, I think it's unlikely the squeal is something to worry about. My quad also has the rear end squeal, but I attribute it to dirt or dust on the brake surfaces. It's usuall worse after riding in water. The pads and rotor are fine. My mountain bike with disc brakes does the same thing.

Old 05-26-2005, 10:50 AM
2c3
Pro Rider

mine are sealed also but when they put hardly any grease in them the grease breaks down very quickly. my rear bearings had no grease and the front ones were fine. in his case or yours the seal may have went bad. gooseman heres how i done it.

1. take your wheel off
2.take axle nut off nut size is 1 1/8
3.remove brake calliper theres 2 bolts on back side of the calliper. you dont have to remove brake lines
4.remove rotor it just pulls off
5.theres a big snap ring on the front side of the hub. take some ring squeezing pliers or a couple of flat head screwdrivers and remove the snap ring.
6.remove the outer bolt from the upper a arm and pull the hub down. you dont have to remove the lower bolts from the lower a arm.
7.push in on axle and down on hub to remove axle from hub. its a real tight fit but it will come out.
8. i used a 1 1/2 socket to knock the bearing out from the inside out. another words while the hub is facing down place the socket on the bearing and take a hammer to hit the socket with to knock it out. you may have to put an extention on the socket if your afraid you will hit your fingers.if you dont have a socket that big just use anything that will fit over the race. if its bigger than the race you may damage your seal.
9. once you have your bearing out you will see there is two bearings in one big sleeve. you can take a screwdriver and put in between the two bearings and twist the screwdriver and your two races will pop out. naturally with no grease the ball bearings are going to fall out . be carefull not to loose them. lay the sleeve flat on a table and take a screwdriver and place the flat part under one side of the seal and gently bump on the handle of the screwdriver. when a little bit of the seal pops up turn the sleeve and bump on another part of the seal. if you be carefull you wont have to replace your seals. there will be two pastic rings with teeth on them that holds your ball bearings. if teeth are not broke you can sand down your race, sleeve and bearings and repack them with grease. if the teeth are bad your going to have to buy the whole bearing set most likely. i used carb cleaner to clean all the dirt and stuff out of the bearing. it sounds like a lot but its really not that bad. took me about 4 hrs to do it. if i had to do it again i could proly do it in 2 hrs. o yeah dont spray the carb cleaner on the seal are the plastic ring that holds the ball bearings. good luck

Old 05-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Range Rover

chuch a.k.a. (2c3),

Wow that seems like allot. I will first do what you suggested and that's ride it down the road about a mile and then check the hub. I really appreciate the detailed list. I am going to print it out for reference if and when I have to do it. I will post my findings sometime later this weekend.

Thanks again for taking the time to help a fellow atv'r out. I owe you one.

gooseman

Old 05-26-2005, 09:32 PM
2c3
Pro Rider

your welcome. i hope you get it fixed. giver her hell