Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

where does this vacuum line go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where does this vacuum line go?

Back to my 95 xplorer 400 and its stalling issues. There is a vac hose that comes out of the right side of the engine block, near the cylinder bottom, and it runs up towards the top of the engine. Now the one on my quad stops at the top, is obvioulsy broken and the end was melted a bit. Is that hose supposed to connect to the vacuum hose that is on the top rear of the carb? Its hard to tell cause one side is melted, but it looks like they were supposed to go together. If so then that would explain why my quad keeps running all the gas out of the fuel filter. Thanks.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

it's not a vaccum line. It could be a fuel line or a vent line. can you post a pic so we know exactly where it is coming and going.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:53 AM
Trailblazer

Ok, I posted a few pics of what I'm talking about in my gallery. The first one is the carb, and the yellowish clear hose is the one that I'm asking about. Its on the back top of the carb. The next two are attempts to get a clear pic of where the hose on the block is. when I found it the hose just terminated at the bar just under the back of the gas tank. It is obviously broken off from somewhere.

Now as I understand it, these, like most bike/quad engines, use a vacuum or vent line that connects to the cylinder to help provide draw for the fuel system. So is this hose (whatever it is) that comes from the block supposed to plug into the top of the carb to assist with fuel delivery? Can someone just look at thiers and see? Sorry if I sound pissy, this has just been an ongoing problem since I bought this quad four months ago. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

Ok, Great pics. Those are both vent lines and do not connect together just point them down. now the other issue you have with the gas could be a few different things. If it is coming from the bottom of the carb then you have a float that is either sticking or needs adjustment. The bowl floods when the float sticks. If your running like crap and your air filter is older replace it. It might not seem like a big deal but there have been many times when a bike start running like crap and it's only a air filter. that won't help with the fuel issue though. can you give me some more details about where the fuel is coming from and under what conditions it leaks. if you want to check your air filter just pull the top off and pull the filter out. put the hat back on and do a short short test ride in a clean area. If it runs good replace your filter. Make sure not to run too long without the filter engines don't like dirt

Old 06-20-2005, 01:07 PM
Trailblazer

My problem isn't a fuel leak, and I've already messed with the air filter. I know that there is a vent line coming out of the bottom of the float bowl, but why is there one at the top of the carb. If I open up the carb and blow into the top hose, then I can see gas coming up into the upper part of the carb. Also, why is there such a long vent hose coming out of the block, and why does it go up towards the gas tank and then stop? That doesn't make much sense to me.

Ever since I got the quad it has run fine for about 15 minutes or so, then it dies. Up till recently I would basically have to let it sit for at least 30 minutes before it would start again. When I checked it seemed to be getting fuel, air and spark, so I didn't know where the problem was. I pulled the carb apart and nothing seemed stuck. As a matter of fact it looked pretty clean.

I replaced all the fuel hose and the fuel filter. When I replaced the fuel filter, I bought a clear one so that I couuld verify that it was actually getting gas. I ended up having to relocate the filter to directly below the pedcock, but I don't see that affecting anything. Then I noticed that when I would run the quad, it would use the fuel out of the filter faster than it would pull it from the gas tank. If I watched it I could see the fuel level slowly go down. A bit of gas would be trickling in, but not enough. Just before it would completly empty the fuel filter it would stop pulling fuel into the filter altogether. Then the quad would die. If I let it sit for a while, then the filter would eventually fill back up. I tried running it until it was low, then removing the gas cap to see if the vent was plugged, but it didn't change anything The only thing that did anything was if I blew INTO the top vent hose after it died. If I blew hard into the hose once the filter was empty then it would immediatly fill back up. If I blow on it when its running, even a little, then the engine either bogs down or stalls all together.

So I tried hooking that vent hose from the block to the top of the carb. I'm not sure if it helped or not, because I still ran gas out of the filter, but a bit before it went empty I took the gas cap off and put it back on, and then the fuel level maintained where it was at. At any rate it ran for longer than it ever has. The wierd thing is removing the cap never did anything before. So I'm not sure where my problem is. Is something in the carb sticking, something not hooked up right or what?

Could it be as simple as the whole thing is jsut running too rich? there is no black smoke, but who knows. Also, I noticed that the gasket in my gas cap looks pretty compressed. Could that be part of the problem?

Old 06-20-2005, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

The Vacume line off of the engine may go to the fuel pump, it should have a mikuni style fuel pump up under theb left front fender, follow the gas line back from the carb, should go to a fuel pump.. all 4 strokes het I've seen have fuel pumps.

Old 06-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer

this is a 2 stroke. I've replaced the fuel hose and there is just two hoses that come from the tank (main and reserve) that go to the pedcock, then one hose from the pedcock to the carb. It is a makuni carb though. I'll look for anything that looks like it may be a fuel pump though. Thanks.

Old 06-20-2005, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, I can assure you that those lines do not connect together. They are both vent lines. The reason the one from the block is long and travels upward is to keep it out of the mud and water that you may run through. you do not have a fuel pump so don't waste your time looking for it. Now I understand your fuel issue. You may have an obstruction somewhere. try bypassing the fuel selector completely and hooking a line from the tank to the filter. try both sides the main and the reserve. If that makes it work then you have something clogging your petcock. could also be something plugging up the tube inside the tank. another option would be to reverse flush the system ahead of the fuel filter. you'd need some kind of pump for that though. I had that problem once and got a small gas pump used for filling gas powered model airplanes.

Old 06-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I did already clean the tank out and make sure that both of the screens are clear, which they are. So I'll try bypassing the petcock and see of that does it. What is involved with pulling apart the petcock apart? I looked at it briefly once, but I wasn\t sure what to do.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

I pulled the pedcock apart and cleaned it out. I seemed fine, but who knows? I did notice that the lines for the main and reserve tank were backwards. At any rate, I'm going to try it again and see what happens.

Quick Reply: where does this vacuum line go?