Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

400 trail blazer, sport & scrambler????

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 trail blazer, sport & scrambler????

I had a few questions about the Polaris's. For starters, I became paralyzed (chest down) in May 2002 due to a atv accident. I currently ride a Honda 300ex, and it's a real pain to ride due to the gearshift and rear brakes.

I have been looking into the Polaris line. I know I want a sporty 400cc, not sure about the 4x4 yet. After doing some looking on this site and eBay, I noticed their is 3 different series, Trail Blazer, Sport & Scrambler. They all look somewhat the same, but are they the same? Is their any differences in them? I am open for any suggestions from other riders on the rides that might work for me, please keep in mind, I might be paralyzed but I still want a sports quad.

Thanks for the help
Brian

Old 06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear about you being paralyzed. Good you are still ATVing though.

As for your queston, I know that the Polaris Trailblazer is a fully automatic 250cc 2x4 "sport". The Polaris Scrambler is a 500 4x4 sport/utilty.
Hope this helps.

Old 06-27-2005, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Sport, Srcambler , and Trailblazer to some extent are the same atv. The 400 cc sport came first then it evolved into the 400 scrambler then to the 400 trailblazer. You can get a a 250 trailblazer or a 500 scrambler. The 400's are 2 stroke and the 500 is a four stroke. All of them are full automatic with all brake controls on the handlebars. 2004 was the last year Polaris made a 400 two stroke motor.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

No, 2003 was the last year of the 400 2-stroke, and the only year it was named the "Trailblazer 400".

Old 06-28-2005, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to say thanks for the help and information. The more I look, the more I like the Scrambler 400 4x4.

Do any of you know any other members that are paralyzed and rides quads? I would like to chat with someone that's in the same situation. Maybe they have some pointers for me.

Just to let you know, I spent 4 months in hospital/rehab and if it wasn't for the brain bucket I wouldn't have made it that far. I broke the helmet on impact. when I got home from the hospital, the next day I got on a Honda recon with electric shift and I caught hell form everyone that just don't understand what ATVing means. Yes they are dangerous but so is waking down the street with drunk drivers on the road.

Thanks
Brian

Old 06-28-2005, 07:20 AM
Pro Rider

I would think there are many.
I know a lot of disable hunter use them to get around and hunt.

I personaly know of one guy that was the Handicap Director for TNUSA here in Michigan that was paralized from the waist down when he fell climbing a tree to archery deer hunt.
I dont think he's on the ATV forums but might be able to get ahold of him.
He rides a Sportsman 500 HO.

There was an article in one of the magazines last year about a guy racing with one arm and about a guy missing one leg.

Jim

BTW welcome to the site.

Old 06-28-2005, 08:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not the best with words, but I have to say sorry about your accident. It's a real wake up call for me and giving my atv a little more respect. I still feel really sad, but it's great you are not giving up riding.
My wife rides a 2000 Scrambler 400 4X2 and loves it. It is the 2 stroke liquid with a pipe and clutch kit. My 2 girls still ride the 250 Trailblazers, but the Scrambler 400 is a big differance in ride and power.
Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-28-2005, 11:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a email asking what happened, here's the scoop.

May 13th 2002 (day after mothers day) I went to the Suzuki dealership in Elk City to test drive the new Z400. I sold my 2002 Raptor and purchased a 400ex, 5 days before the accident, and I was told that the Z400 was comparable to the 400ex. I showed up with my 400ex and was going to compare the too. I test drove the Z400 and then took my 400ex off the trailer to compare the too on the track that they had behind the dealership. One of the employees was riding the Z400 and I was on the 400ex, we started to drag race down the track. I ended up getting the hole shot, and wasn't familiar with course and run up on a water culvert with BIG rocks in it. I slid the quad and hit a rock with the rear tire, and it threw me off, right into the culvert. At that point I landed on my back, braking my helmet and crushed my T2 vertebra (just below the arms), 90% of my body is paralyzed. I was flown to OK University to have rods put in my back (one month stay) and then off to the VA hospital in Albuquerque, spent 3 months going threw rehab.

I had a very hard time dealing with being paralyzed when I got home. It got so bad that my wife left me in Jan 2004 but my 8 yr son stayed with me. From that time on I said enough of feeling sorry for myself and it's time to be a man and a dad, so I started getting back into the ATV lifestyle, going outdoors with my son and friends.

I started out with my 400ex, used a broom handle hooked to the gearshift and nerf bars to keep my feet on. That was a real pain, so I tried the Honda 350 Odyssey. It was ok but it was very hard to get out of and it didn't fit down the trails (to wide). I had a 300ex in storage so I went to that (current ride), it's set up just like my 400ex was. So here I am now trying to slide over to a different quad. The Polaris 400 Scrambler seems to be the best thing for me at this time.

I figured out real quick that if you help yourself your friends will cover the rest.

All I ask is, don't feel sorry for me, because it happens and it's part of life. It does suck being in a wheelchair but it's how you deal with it that will make you or brake you.

Thanks for having me on the forum

Brian [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Your outlook on what happened and how you live your life now is an inspiration. Riding is what sets me free from all the day to day things..bills, work, co-workers. This list could go on believe me. I can imagine it would be the same for you. God Bless!

Old 06-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

That is cool my friend. It's great to hear of someone who takes charge and goes for it. Keep that attitude and you'll go far. A family friend found himself in a similar situation after a skiing accident. He hasn't been on a quad but rides the heck out of a sea-doo xp.
If your looking for a new quad you'll have to go with the scrambler 500 4 stroke. on a used 400 2 stroke make sure you go with a 2000 or newer, Along with the concentric drive you get the long travel suspension. Most of the guys here that have a 400 scrambler love them. Stock it's not gonna have the power that the 400ex has but it is still a nice sporty ride with nice power and good handling. The 4wd is great in that it is push button so you only turn it on when you need it. You can get into and out of a lot of things that the 400ex can't. Plus the auto tranny and single brake lever would be perfect for you. Keep us up to date when you get one and let us know what you think. Welcome to the forums and hopefully you'll join the ranks of us Scrammy Lovers.

Quick Reply: 400 trail blazer, sport & scrambler????