Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 scrambler 500 water issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 scrambler 500 water issues

my freind just bought a scrambler 500,and is having problems running through water

water keeps entering into the primary causing the belt to slip,,,she is very disappointed,and i was wondering if anyone knew a way to raise the primary vent higher to allow her to run through water?

thanx for any help

Old 06-30-2005, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

also just a curiousity question,,,i have 2 other freinds that swear to they will only ride Polaris,but neither can keep the CVC joints from failing,,,,i myself have owned 2 Polaris's previously,and have just made the move to the 660 Grizzly

the question is,,,,does everyone have CVC joint issues with their Sportsmans,,,because both my buddies do,with the 700,and the 500,,,,they cant keep them from going out

my one freind with the 500,had just had his fixed,and not a month later,the rear CVC started clicking again,the same one,and steadidly getting worse,,,,,and he had the whole assembly replaced

and my other freinds 700 has been doing it for 2 months now (also progressingly getting worse),he just doesnt have the cash to fix at this time,,,,the 700 is only a year old

Old 06-30-2005, 01:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

It may have a leak, fill the clutch cover with water and check to see.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:22 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What year Scrambler? It may be that the seal arount the cvt is bad. They usually can go through pretty deep water. I know my 330 can go up to the seat and still runs great.

Old 06-30-2005, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

she just bought it brand new,,,she had to wait until they assembled it

i looked at it and there is a vent on the left side facing inwards to the bike,just under the gas tank,,,i think its to let air to get to the primary drive belt for cooling

she sold her explorer because we kept telling her she was ready to lose the training wheels,,,now she is real disapointed because she cant go through water,,,and in WV,we have to cross alot of creeks,and streams

but im very certain the water is entering through that vent portal,,,,,do they make a snorkle for it to raise the inlet? or are we going to have to fabricate something?

thanx for your reply

Old 07-01-2005, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider

That vent is fairly high, If you are going through water that deep I would think there will be other issues that will soon follow. Remember these are not water craft. They will go through water but if you ride through deep water all the time you will have to really take care and change fluids alot and make sure all zirks are greased and always! oil your chain after every ride when you go through water.

I have heard of people putting snorkles on them, if you look at where it attaches to the vent it is round. That is where you need to attach it and somehow get it up higher. Remember to drive slow through water and enter it even slower with the scrambler as hitting water fast will shoot it up under the gas tank and the intake is right there.

If that does not do it take off the clutch cover and make sure the gasket is lined up correctly. Clean it good and put it back on. I think some people have used a sealant on it too, But becareful if you do as you will have to take if off to change the belt.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

water isnt getting to the carb,,,,its reaching the air intake for the primary (belt starts slipping and the bike is basically stuck in the middle of the creek),its on the left side just under the tank,and its a square hole

the bike is not even a month old,so maybe they didnt get the primary sealed when they assembled it for her

also,,,,she had a 250 2-stroke Explorer before she stepped up to the 500 scrambler,,,,she had the explorer for atleast 3 years,and we are not taking the scrambler any place that the little 250 explorer went with zero issues for atleast the last 3 years

i can see where she is frustrated,and she is sorry she ever got rid of the explorer now,and cant say i blame her

i do really apreciate the input,,,,thanx

Old 07-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

The hole is square, but that part attaches to the clutch cover and is round at that point. Stock they have tie wraps holding it together, if you check and its not the seal around the clutch cover than make sure there is a good seal were they connect. If water is getting that high to go into the square opening then you need to snokle it at the round part and extend it up above but remember the airbox intake is not much higher than that. If you take the seat off you will see the air intake and you really don't want alot of water running in there. If she does get water in there, to drain it there is a red plug in a short hose that comes from the bottom of the airbox. just reach up under there and pull it out and the water will drain.

There are some people on this forum that have snokled the clutch case but Im not shure who they are. If you drive into the water slowly it helps alot and maybe get a dayco HP or gates belt to help with the slipping.

Old 07-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

jimk,,,,thankyou very much,,,that was alot of help,i appreciate it

Old 07-04-2005, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

No problem. I have driven through water up to the seat and have not had a problem. I just hope she can find the problem. The scrambler is one of the best all around quads out there. I hope she will give it a chance after this is solved. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 05 scrambler 500 water issues