Mod Recommendations for New Scrambler Convert

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
RJF
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mod Recommendations for New Scrambler Convert

Originally posted by: Ugonda
Hey on this tire size ratio thing, are you guy sure that I absolutely cannot put something like a 24" or 25" on the rear and leave the front at 23"? I am a large guy, around 290, and was hoping to level the bike out with a larger tire in the rear. Also add a little ground clearance. Seems to me that a larger tire in the rear would spin the rear axle slower in the ratio between front and rear axles not engaging the AWD all of the time, almost if anything, delaying the AWD from engaging for a split second.

Has anyone tried a setup such as this?
I definantly would not put a larger tire in the back without putting larger tires in the front also that are 1" taller, just like stock. I don't know if you know much about 4x4 trucks or not but would you put bigger tires only in the back on a 4x4 pickup? Of course not, as soon as you hit any terrain fairly hard in 4x4 there would be a good chance of blowing a differential, tcase, ujoints....etc.

ATV drivetrains are typcally stouter than a pickup because of the size of components vs. weight but you are also a big guy. I wouldn't mismatch gearing and tires, and I only weigh 160lbs. You don't want to break something out on the trail.

As far as how well they go in mud.....I got my 2004 500 Scrambler in the mud for the first time the other day, it's stock with fresh stock tires. I was thick nasty mud about 8" or so deep, no water to keep the tires clean. It went darned well but was spinning like crazy. I went through the same exact spot with our 2002 SP 700 with the rawhide tires. I could feel the SP 700 sink more but the extra meaty tires helped plow through better with it having Rawhides.

I would say you should be able to go through almost any mud hole you might encounter on the trail with your IRS buddies.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I agree. Sitting stock the front to rear drive ratio of tire diameter+gearing = 1:1 even though there's a difference in size. Changing tire size at either end is gonna throw this off and give you problems. If you want to level out the rear, get a heavier spring but since you just bought the bike, give it some time. I'm about 225 myself and I have my spring 1 notch down from the maximum but very little of my riding is done sitting down, so that may make a difference.

As for useful mods, check my pics and PM me if you have any questions.

Old 08-04-2005, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Guys, I am relatively new so I am definately not tyrying to act like a know-it-all. However, even though I totally agree with you about the ratio issues between the front and rear tires when in 4X4, it is my understanding that with the Polaris AWD system the only way the front tires engage is if the rear tires are slipping. Then when the rear gets traction and stops slipping, the front hubs disengage. I beleive this is how my owners manual decribed the AWD system; however I could be wrong. If this is the case, even though the ratio is wrong with larger tires on the rear, it really doesn't matter because the only time I will be in 4X4 is when the rear tires are spinning anyway.

Am I making any sense?

Old 08-04-2005, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

I see what you're saying and in theory, yes, you'll already be slipping and that should be enough to compensate for the ratio difference but I DEFINITELY wouldn't so it on mine and I think you'll find that to be the case for most people here. It's just not a good solution to your problem.

Does it feel that uncomfortable for you with it sagged down a little bit? Also is your spring adjusted for the max load? What about a stronger spring? (lol or a diet, I think that's where I wanna start for myself at 5'10" and 225 lbs)

Old 08-04-2005, 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

no, I can definately live with it the way it is now. I have not even adjusted the rear suspension yet. I was looking for more ground clearance also. My sportsman 335 has the similar setup also, (24 rear - 23 front)so I was also wanting to get this AWD thing figured out.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:12 PM
Trailblazer

Regardless of the tire size, what do you all think about mudlites on scramblers? I am looking for a good all around tire that will also be good in the sand and mud. I live in Louisiana, you can not get away from mud on the trails here.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

You've got a pretty good grasp of it, the AWD works similar to a clutch fan on a car. I've run 22's all around for years, this will cause the engagment to be a microsecond later than stock but you will never notice the difference.

Old 08-04-2005, 07:25 PM
Trailblazer

So from your experience, you see no problems with changing up the tire sizes? You are confident that I will not mess my bike up?

Old 08-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

As long as you don't go too small on the rears compared to the fronts you've got nothing to worry about.

Old 08-04-2005, 11:07 PM
RJF
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Ugonda
Guys, I am relatively new so I am definately not tyrying to act like a know-it-all. However, even though I totally agree with you about the ratio issues between the front and rear tires when in 4X4, it is my understanding that with the Polaris AWD system the only way the front tires engage is if the rear tires are slipping. Then when the rear gets traction and stops slipping, the front hubs disengage. I beleive this is how my owners manual decribed the AWD system; however I could be wrong. If this is the case, even though the ratio is wrong with larger tires on the rear, it really doesn't matter because the only time I will be in 4X4 is when the rear tires are spinning anyway.

Am I making any sense?
You have it exactly right. HTe one thing I would be worried about along with what I said earlier is that your owners manual also says not to engage the AWD while the rear tires are slipping. I would imagine that means the slight wheel speed difference in stock configuration when the fronts engage isn't enough but having the rears spinning like crazy and then the front grabbing could break something from the drastic different in wheel speed.

Now, with that said you could potentially make the AWD system engage either sooner with less wheel spin in the rear or more. If the guy above is correct about smaller tires int he back making the system lock up quicker than larger tires make it engage slower with more wheel speed. Could this cause some breakage? I don't know, i guess it depends on how much wheel speed vs. engagement is safe. Also, if the AWD system engages slower than that might effect it's perfromance. I know when I usually use it I am in a spot where I am already stuck or about to be stuck. I can see where an even slower engagement could mean getting out or not.

Quick Reply: Mod Recommendations for New Scrambler Convert