Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Explorer 400 Clutch cover Rattling noise..

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2005, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Explorer 400 Clutch cover Rattling noise..

Well we figured out what we needed..
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...2D+W969140.asp
#11 Brass Bushing and #6 Button Clutch bushings.. also we'll most likely have to replace the cover but we'll just replace these first then see how it is. Also gotta return the belt I bought earlier to order the same one for cheaper. Thanks for the help anyways [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2005, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

check the points on your helix to make sure there not worn off.

Old 09-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Trailblazer

Whats a Helix?

Old 09-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

it's the metal piece that goes over the spring that is held on by that big retaining ring on your secondary clutch. it rides on the clutch buttons. if the clutch buttons are gone all together then the helix is riding on metal.

Old 09-16-2005, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer

Do the roller Bushings absolutely need replacing? They're like 25$ each here.. we got a total price of 150$ without the strap so far.. 75$ less would help.

So the helix is the triangular shaped piece if i get this right. The Clutch buttons aren't completely worn out. I just checked and the roller bushings seems to have some play (moving side to side).. is that normal or is it because they're used? Why is it so expensive for a tiny piece?

What are the #10 spacers for exactly? Obviously they space something out but for what reason would you need them.

Old 09-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Trailblazer

The Helix is on the tranny side right? Because I'm only working on the engine side.
I took off the clutch assembly earlier and started it up after.. i dont think the clutch is the culprit.. it may have bad motor mounts and that's the next thing im checking.

By the way.. how do you take out the part that has the buttons in it? (how do i unscrew it from the shaft?)

Old 09-19-2005, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer

Bump

Old 09-19-2005, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

if your talking about the clutch on the engine (primary) you need a clutch puller. to determine if you have a clutch problem or cover problem just take the cover off and run it and see if it goes away. the primary clutch ussually doesn't have any problems. the secondary clutch is usually the problem causer.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer

No that's not it. I already took off the clutch with a home made bolt (and some sockets [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] ). This one has nothing to do with the secondary. All i wanna know is how to take off the.. well
http://houseofmotorcycles.bikebandit...2D+W969140.asp
Since i don't know the names of the parts ill jus invent some stuff.. the triangular piece that holds the buttons.. i want to take that off the far right piece with the threaded shaft.

Old 09-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

i'm still a little confused but i'll take a guess. the triangular shaped thing your refering to, does it have 6 bolts, 2 on each corner. if so take those off but hold onto it firmly becuase there holding the spring in. this will allow you to take the whole clutch apart. i'm confused about the buttons. i didn't realise there were buttons in the primary clutch. i'll look at some diagrams to try to figure it out.

Quick Reply: Polaris Explorer 400 Clutch cover Rattling noise..